Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I've been reading the posts about people losing an Airpod, and thinking "who would be stupid enough to do that?" - well that would be me.

I've been using either Airpod from time to time as a bluetooth headset (one at a time). I set one down somewhere, it ran out of juice, and I cannot find it, even though I've looked EVERYWHERE.

Apple has announced that they will sell you a single as a replacement, but be prepared for noone at Apple knowing this. I spoke to 3 different people at Apple Support, each of which told me you could NOT buy a single, until I found this link with the info on Apple's own site:

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing

Once I started showing them this, they were willing to do some work to figure out the process. You have to go into a store, and take your original box, in order to place an order for a single. There is no delivery date expectation at this point.

Good times. In the meantime I'm continuing to use my existing single.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Wow man, that sucks. I really do hope things clear up as soon as possible for you! I hope I won't lose mine ever!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Just shows how unprepared Apple is w/ this launch. And having to show the box is ridiculous and harsh. It not like replacements are discounted.

I always keep my product boxes for resale purposes but I don't think it's the norm based on what I see on eBay. Airpods work via iClould so Apple should be able to use that as ownership verification and serial#. I know of no other Apple product where replacement requires the original box.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Yes - thats the biggest thing I've learned. Its VERY tempting to just pop them out and put the in your pocket, but you should just put the in the case.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I read of a similar experience to yours on Reddit. The person said no one had a clue what to do and at first said they couldn't replace just one.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I frequently use one also, I have set it down and nearly forgot it a couple times now I am super strict on myself and if they aren't in my ears they are immediately in the case and in my pocket.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I read of a similar experience to yours on Reddit. The person said no one had a clue what to do and at first said they couldn't replace just one.
This is Angela's fault Apple retail doesn't know how to respond properly.

Reactions: xraydoc

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I set one down somewhere, it ran out of juice, and I cannot find it, even though I've looked EVERYWHERE.

Thanks for reminding us of what could happen. Here's hoping it still shows up.

BTW, are we talking about a messy house (check the kids' Lego boxes), busy office, and cluttered car, or is this the person in line at Starbucks we could easily imagine setting an AirPod on the counter?

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks for reminding us of what could happen. Here's hoping it still shows up.

BTW, are we talking about a messy house (check the kids' Lego boxes), busy office, and cluttered car, or is this the person in line at Starbucks we could easily imagine setting an AirPod on the counter?

No kids - clean house. BTW - I DID find it! it was under a piece of furniture I hadn't checked earlier.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I find it hard to believe that Apple doesn't know what to do in the case that you lost one earpiece. Besides the "courage" needed to go completely wireless, this will be a cash cow for Apple and they knew it.

The fact that you have to go through lengths just to order a single piece and not shell out another $160 for a pair tells you everything.

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Oh boy, I can't imagine that was on purpose. I'm pretty sure support can't offer certain programs until they're told to, however obvious that it's imminently being deployed. Regardless, it doesn't look good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.