If you needed proof the BBC was Pro-Mac...!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hob, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

The BBC simply love the Apple.

Right now on the BBC News Technology page, there are 4 stories regarding Apple/Macs/iPods:

[​IMG]

Mmmmm apple domination!!

2. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Apple have frequently been on Technology page of BBC News.

In fact, BBC has been accused of being too Pro Apple because of the exposer they ( Apple ) have been given. Quite pathetic, IMO.

3. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Personally, I think there is a pro-mac bias at the BBC, but not in a non-impartial way - but they do push the stories.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They would appear to be pro-Apple until you try and view video on their site. Then you have a choice between Windows Media or Real. ;)

5. Queso macrumors G4

I suppose there's only so much copy you can get from "Vista delayed again" and "Intel announces new processors, available in 2008". :cool:

If the BBC has a bias, I would say it's against the Open-Source movement. The only OSS product they ever report on is Firefox.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Better than the Times for sure who ran an article on Monday lauding how great Vista would be and why the delay just made sure it would be better... :rolleyes:

7. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Really? Jeeze - got a link?

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If you really want proof, watch their shows. Almost everything (except the news :confused:) has an Apple computer in it. They all used iMacs and PowerBooks in Hustle, and the operations room in Spooks is just row after row of ACDs with iSights :D

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Here you go... there's a token mention of Linux and Apple but the sidebar of features does gush...

10. howesey macrumors 6502a

I think they are very pro-Apple. :)

I remember when the nano was released. On News24, 10 mins after Job's showed the world, they had one in the studio showing people the new iPod.

I thought the BBC was none advertising and commercial. :rolleyes:

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Probably helped that Apple have started using a BBC studio as their Euro base for transatlantic announcements for journos with demo units there... Presumably someone just had to kidnap the Nano and take it down the corridor

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

BBc does Click Online! Right? That show is mighty un-apple. But it is always good to see Apple making front page news.

14. McScooby macrumors 6502

Can't remember exactly where but I'm sure that I read that the BBC are in the process of introducing into the TV & Radio resources side of things all things apple, possibly to do with XSAN and the like.

Ever since this (see link below) came about last year, they seem to be more cautious, like other tv companies in the uk about apple products, that whenever they now have them in tv programmes a proportion of the computers have the apple logo covered over.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/bullet...e-logo-spooks-amid-product-placement-furore/

15. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

If only they had video in Quicktime! Also, the new Doctor Who hasn't had a Mac in it yet (several laptops, though). Not that this proves anything re: the thread.

16. howesey macrumors 6502a

The BBC support for Apple comes from their old support of Acorn. Since Acorn closed, they have been supporting Apple as Apple supported Acorn an awful lot.

Useful when you ask around. :)

17. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

I don't know if I'm being unecessarily harsh, but Click Online is possibly one of the worst-made BBC shows I've ever seen! The production values are a bit off - sometimes there's a studio, but often there's not.

I do remember that the guy who did Click Online was reading the BBC One News on the day of the BBC Strike last year though... that made me chuckle!!

I can believe that Spooks was investigated, it seems to have Apple equipment everywhere, so much so that my Mum noted I might want to start working for MI5 ;)

It does seem a little silly to be investigating them though - those guidelines are there to stop people making money off of product placement. If a producer decides they want to use apple equipment in their show because it looks modern and cool, then why not?? They certainly never show Mac OS X, no matter what equipment they're using, the screens always seem to be running some sort of MoD OS!

18. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Too right - bloody disgrace.

19. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I think the BBC are blatantly pro-Apple. Take this image accompanying a pretty much unrelated story about search engines (it's on the Technlogy front page rather than the story itself):

[​IMG]

Though ironcally, the iMac in the foreground has a Windows-related page open! And the story, for those interested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4900742.stm

All that needs to happen now is for Labour to announce they favour Apple too, and then the circle will be complete :rolleyes:

20. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Yes, yuk... as a Sinclair kid that used to really p*** me off in the 1980s.

Funny how times change.

Regards
    Superleccy

21. McScooby macrumors 6502

I think the BBC are blatantly pro-Apple. Take this image accompanying a pretty much unrelated story about search engines (it's on the Technlogy front page rather than the story itself):

Though ironcally, the iMac in the foreground has a Windows-related page open! And the story, for those interested:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4900742.stm

All that needs to happen now is for Labour to announce they favour Apple too, and then the circle will be complete
    Yesterday 11:08 PM

Must be the coolness factor, can't believe otherwise! :rolleyes:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14351

22. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

A lot of media uses Macs, and have done for a long time..

CityTV in Toronto use Safari for one particular CityTV programme production.

The Toronto Star used a PowerBook photo in a Photography meetup related story.

23. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I remember a line on Top Gear where they compared the sleakness of an Aston Martin to that of a PowerBook.

24. howesey macrumors 6502a

He's been doing News24 since it launched. He still does News24 at night.

Makes the report balanced. :)

:D :D :D :D

25. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

The image is from the Getty Images library and was intended for a story about Boot Camp, so the Windows page was sort of relevant for that purpose - the BBC just decided to reuse it for some reason.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/details_pop.aspx?iid=57261310&cdi=0

Another one I noticed recently was an article about the Carphone Warehouse's broadband - although to be fair they did use PC laptops for other articles about the same story, but obviously we don't notice those quite as much ;)