If you reapplied Thermal Paste did you notice

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nph, Sep 8, 2009.

1. nph
    macrumors 6502a

any change when it comes to the change in the time it takes for the temperature to go up?

What I mean is that currently if I compare my MBA rev B with any other Mac I have or had, any rise in activity on the CPU makes te temperature shoot up at least 10C or 20F within a second or two at the most.
    All other macs show a gradual increase, including previous portables and current imac etc.

The extremely quick rise in temp is that a sign about poor thermal transfer to the heat sink or is this expected behaviour in the MBA?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

When you say "reapplied Thermal paste" do you mean you put new paste on or used the existing?

Generally, you should not use the existing thermal paste. This weekend, I discovered a friend had been regularly removing the heatsink to clean the dust from their slim Dell desktop, and the computer was much louder than it used to be. I applied fresh thermal paste and it magically became quieter.

3. nph
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

HI

Sorry about that, I meant if you replaced the current Thermal Paste with for instance AS5.

4. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

No reason to be sorry, I think your question was correct and the poster took it out of context completely.

Yes, but minimal improvements in high end temp and how fast rises.