If YOU were in charge, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mike Teezie, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Hey everybody. I don't post much here, but I haunt this area of the forums several times a day, everyday. I think this is the first thread I've started.

Anyway - My dad and I were talking about Kerry's upcoming campaign strategy, and what we feel needs to be done in the next 8 weeks.

I was curious, what would you guys do if YOU were head of the campaign?

Please, please, please..... ****NO**** Kerry bashing in this thread. If you don't like the man, that's fine, just change the channel.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hit him over the medicare fiasco, hit him over the job losses in places like Ohio and Pennsylvania. Hit him over the lack of WMD in Iraq. Hit him on the deficit and the cost of the war in Iraq. Remind people that this administration cannot be trusted with the secrecy of covert agents. Hit him on his family ties to the Saudis who are terrorist supporters. Then remind people what Bush said he would do to 'anyone who feeds a terrorist'. Remind them that Bush has flip-flopped on all kinds of major issues. Remind people that Bush has had control of all 3 branches of government and yet on a platform of fiscal responsibility has presided over the largest deficit in history.

Above all, take the fight to the president. Get off your heels and come out swinging every chance you get.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Tell Bush to go f**k himself on National television (debates), followed by a verbal assault of what an a**hole he has been to both him personally and to the American people...be the definition of frank. A Peter Finch moment (to those of you familiar with Network).

Then move to Canada and ask who's coming with him.

I would seriously love that...but on a practical level, I agree with mactastic..

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Wow, someone as angry as me ;)

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think he needs to harp on the message that it's not healthy to paint everything in black and white. e.g. "if you don't like your job, then quit and get a better one," while sounding like a great idea, ignores the reality that it's not always possible.

maybe not the best idea, but make it accessible to people.

i think he should spend more time talking about the failures in afghantistan, too. it seems to be off everyone's radar as a "solved problem".

6. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Indeed.

On a similar note - I wish that during the debates, he would ask Bush, point blank: "Why did you shift your focus away from catching Osama Bin Laden?"

Then sit back, and watch Dubya squirm.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Politicians rarely squirm when they're asked questions that they prefer not to answer. They usually launch straight into an answer to a question they weren't asked, and when they're done, many people won't even notice the difference.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

IJ, is GW Bush an average politician? I could see him making a mistake, if flustered. A nice ad-lib or two could prove very interesting.

Although my earlier post was somewhat extreme, I do advocate Kerry frankly attacking Bush with legitimate issues and controlling the nature and pace of the debate. It is not like there is a shortage of damaging legitimate issues out there to choose from.

Kerry has got to wonder how he is losing to this guy.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

With his fists. 5 rounds of bare-knuckle boxing to wrap up the debates. Bush played rugby at Yale. Kerry played hockey at Yale. My money's on Kerry.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Kerry's handlers need to get it through to him that he can't pull off trying to be "just one of the guys". Bush has credibility at a gun club or in a photo-op with a shotgun. Kerry doesn't; he's about like Dukakis in a tank.

'Rat

11. Rebel macrumors newbie

What Kerry Must do to Win

He needs to stand-up in front of the American people, and loudly state:

Today I am placing the future of my candidacy entirely in the hands of the American people. I will not accept government funds for my campaign. This campaign will live or die based upon individual citizen support.

No one man or woman can change the politics of money in Washington by themselves, but what I can do is give you the opportunity to change it together for ourselves and our nation. If you join my cause you will not only change our nation, you will change a broken political system that is failing us. Moreover, you will restore the spirit of those who threw tea in the Boston Harbor over 200 years ago and launched our great nation founded on the simple notion of “government of the people, by the people and for the people.

But he won't say this becasue he wants the $75 million taxpayer dollars he gets to run his campaign.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Geez 'Rat, you're coming off as a single-issue voter lately. Guns guns guns ammo shotgun tank 30.30.... You'd think nothing else mattered to you.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush makes more mistakes than most, when he's off-script, but I don't expect him to be off-script very often in the debates. It will be very difficult for Kerry to ask him a question (assuming the format even allows it) that Bush won't be prepared to answer -- or non-answer, as the case may be.

I've also noticed that hardly anyone seems to notice when Bush does squirm. Some seem to think it's actually kind of cute when he draws a big blank.

14. toaster_oven macrumors regular

i'd tell kerry he needs to stop answering questions like a politician... simple answers to simple questions...

challenge bush to a debate at every opportunity... call him a chicken if he doesn't answer the challenge early-on. if Bush tries to get out of any of the three debates, say he's scared to face you and it's because he doesn't actually know what he is doing. the more times Bush is in unscripted Q&A sessions, the dumber he looks.

challenge the press... criticize the press for not doing enough questioning of the Bush admin... say they are doing a poor job in general... it worked for the right (years of labeling the press as liberal has caused it to lean to the right), so... it should work for the moderates.

singling out Bush is very effective, spend less time on others in the admin...

after all this- stay positive... start talking about how things need to change - anything where he states that the system is corrupt or something will definitely grab people's attention... stay on message and offer new ideas - things like sustainable local and regional economies as the foundation for a healthy global economy (might be a bit too radical for the dems, but would get him a wider range of votes, and capture people's imagination), talk about america as a *nation* (not a homeland or "fatherland") that is part of a global community... talk about global democracy and winning over the hearts and minds of the people of the world, not just the governments... equate energy consumption to foreign policy... etc...

-TO

15. katchow macrumors 6502

i know what you mean...it seems we've so lowered our expectations for him that as long as he doesn't forget his own name its a success.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think you're onto something here.

bush _is_ afraid, and not just of debates. kerry could call him out on every single thing:

- why are you so afraid to debate me?
    - why are you so afraid to talk about valerie plame?
    - why are you so afraid of releasing the notes of the secret energy meetings?
    - why were you so afraid of forming the 9/11 commission?
    - why were you so afraid of sending an official to the closing ceremony of the olmpyics?
    - why were you so afraid to announce your visit to iraq?
    - why were you so afraid of waiting for a UN vote about iraq?

the list goes on and on and on....

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, if an NRA guy came out and started hollering for more gun control, wouldn't folks think there was something phony going on? Kerry's flip-flop against previously voted positions is phony. Simple as that. It has little to do with the gun issue as such.

Phoniness on one issue spills over into folks' wonderment about other issues.

August of last year, Kerry supported more billions for the war in Iraq. Okay, he's changed his mind, I guess. But is he gonna bring the troops home in four years? Or six months? What? I can see changing one's mind in a year, but in a week?

Think out a position on an issue. State the position, and how whatever associated policies could be made to work. Then, stick with the position!

The man's gotta quit trying to emulate Governor Windshield Wiper. He's gotta quit pretending to be someone he ain't...

'Rat

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The reason I ask is because Bush is guilty of hypocrisy just as much as Kerry is, yet you seem to not care about Bush's changes of heart. Do you not consider 'no nation building' to 'must build nations' hypocrisy of the highest order? Or how about 'medicare will only cost X' to 'medicare will cost X+ $100,000,000'?

The man needs to quit trying to emulate Gov. W. Wiper, don't you think? He's gotta quit pretending to be someone he ain't... (Like a Texan, for example ;) )

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm merely staying with the subject of the thread, which has to do with "what would you guys do if YOU were head of the (Kerry) campaign?" I touched on two facets; the "just us guys" and the changes in views.

If there's a similar Bush thread next week, I'll chime in when I get back on line. I-10 time, westbound.

:), 'Rat

20. IIvan macrumors regular

kerry needs to be as hard on him as humanly possible at the debates.. many people see kerry as soft and weak- a wimp compared to the strong protective bush, as the GOP paints him. Also, even though i believe the debate questions have to be scripted, kerry must ask him hard qustions. anyone remember that bush press conference on iraq last spring?? bush looked really awful avoiding all those tough questions- most of his answers were just plain subject changes.. i would never vote for him after seeing that.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

i thought originally Kerry was trying to propose a way to actually pay for the billions...not that he ever actually objected to giving our troops the body-armor that Bush sent them to Iraq without.

i know i just said body-armor...that seems to be the republican summary of a bill that said a lot more than that.

http://www.southernstudies.org/reports/87$%20B-2.htm

you can read the actual document somewhere online but i can't remember the link.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And like in Bush's last official press conference, wear a tie that moires like hell on TV. This way people are hypnotized by the tie, and miss the message.

That being said, I would want Kerry to stay on message at all costs and demand why Bush hadn't during the debates.

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Sell the US to Canada and use the money to buy a small nation and start The United States of America v2.0

:cool: ;)

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hit with the facts behind the recent Labor Department figures. That last months drop in unemployment was due to people just giving up looking for a job. Or the news today that unemployment claims are down, partially due to people not being able to get to the unemployment offices in the storm hit areas.

25. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

No kidding! Can you imagine Bush trying to break Kerry's jaw? :p

Kerry needs to get tougher with Bush. Hit hard with the facts, in tv ads, in debates.