If your plugged into a wall outlet and your battery is fully charged...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jdm_rsx, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    is it still running off your battery? or draining it?

should i remove my battery when im at home or near a outlet?
  2. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    1. No, when you're plugged in and the battery's charged, the computer is powered off of the plug.

2. It's not a very good idea to leave your notebook plugged in ALL the time, so you should calibrate it (run out its battery and charge it back up again) about every month or two. But it won't hurt for it to stay plugged in while you're at home, as long as it's not plugged in for months on end, so your battery's fine, you don't need to take it out. :)
  3. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah, everyonce in a while i drain it all the way and give it a full charge but i was just wondering whats really happening when it is fully charged and just sitting there...
  4. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    For those that run their machine plugged in for long periods of time (days/weeks), I recommend removing the battery and setting it aside somewhere until you need it. I have noticed with my PowerBook, as well as a few Dell laptops I've owned in the past, this can help retain the capacity level of the battery. I've done experiments using coconutBattery to confirme this.

Over a period of about a month, while leaving the battery in the machine but never actually running the machine off the battery (read: always plugged in) I noticed a decrease in capacity of about 4-5%.

This is of course assuming you never calibrate the battery. Calibrating the battery (usually) restores most, if not all of the battery's original capacity.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    As long as you're calibrating regularly, you should not remove your battery while plugged in. All it does is open the innards of your computer to dust and potential physical damage.
  6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    I wouldn't recommend leaving the battery out while plugged in either.
    But i would recommend doing what Apple suggests and using the battery a little at regular intervals as well as calibrating it every month or so.