If you're looking for a rather cheap iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cr2sh, Nov 21, 2004.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I just picked up an iPod tonight at my local BestBuy. I inquired about open box iPods, turns out they had a boat load of 'em behind the counter.

Their return policy on iPods is pretty much, you buy one with the warranty.. and later down the road if it needs service, you take it back in.. they just swap it with a new one. They take that used one.. mail it in, get it fixed, and then when it comes back it stays behind the counter till someone inquires about one.

I got a 3rd Gen 15GB for $150, its in great shape and will do everything I need... they seemed a bit iffy about pricing them, so you might luck out. Either way, I didn't like the new click wheel.. so I was quite happy to find this stock pile.

Just a word to the wise....

PS. My BB also had 4th Gen's already in stock as returned...

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

that's excellent! what about warranties??
    i bought my 3G 15GB after i realized the 4G's were fugly... i got mine refurbished from apple, just like my imac, so i'm happy...

happy 'podding,
    reality

3. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

You will probably find no warranty will exist

I live in the UK and as far as I know, warranties are optional on "second-hand" goods - even if they are really new refurbs !

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

No.. that's the great thing about these things.

For $30 you can buy the BestBuy warranty on them. The three year warranty is basically a replacement plan, if ever in that time it breaks and needs fixed, BestBuy gives you credit for how much you payed for the iPod towards the purchase of another mp3 player.

$30.. and in two years when it "breaks" you get your $150 or $250 or $300 or whatever back.

You can't beat this deal.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thanks for the heads up, my sister was looking to get an ipod for her bf, but doesnt have enough money for a brand new one, i told her to give this a try, good thinking btw, i never even thought about it, and of course you can get the Best Buy warranty, they want to hand those things out like crazy