Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last night's teardown of the iPhone 5s, iFixit has completed its iPhone 5c teardown. Unsurprisingly, the iPhone 5c's dismantling has revealed numerous similarities with the iPhone 5, including nearly identical innards with matching A6 processors.

While the internals and form factor are largely the same, the iPhone 5c is slightly thicker and heavier than the iPhone 5 and due to its polycarbonate shell. The 5c also has a larger battery, measuring in at 1510 mAh compared to the 1440 mAh battery of the iPhone 5, and it shares camera parts with the iPhone 5s, though the latter has a larger aperture. iFixit found that the plastic shell was nearly impossible to bend, largely because of its heft - the rear case weighs in at 43.8 grams.

We may not have super strength, but we put this case to the muscle test, anyway. The results: this lacquered plastic is as strong and blue as Captain Planet.

It's good to know that, though the rear panel is made with plastic to presumably cut costs, Apple did not compromise build quality in the process.
iFixit gave the iPhone 5c a 6 out of 10 repairability score, one point lower than the iPhone 5 and the same score given to the iPhone 5s, due to the lack of the pull tab on the battery, the proprietary screws, and the considerable amount of adhesive used to hold the phone together. iFixit has a number of other pictures and a detailed rundown of the iPhone 5c dismantling process on its website.

Article Link: iFixit Completes iPhone 5c Teardown, Highlights Include Durable Shell, Larger Battery

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Love me some solid construction. Now can we get solid colors instead of pastels?

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
And here I was, expecting the removal of the plastic shell to reveal a disguised iPhone 5. Oh well…
nhJ370Z.gif

Last edited:

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I give iFixit a 6 out of 10 in their ability to understand that companies do not necessarily build products to be repairable by iFixit with many good reasons. For example more glue strengthens the substrate and overall monolithic nature of the device to survive falls, etc. And tamper resistant screws prevent the inexperienced from delving in to areas where they wish they had not. Such screws are quite common all throughout industry.

Oh, and let's not forget, that iFixit conveniently has a link to THEIR pentalobe screwdriver set and tools all throughout their allegedly unbiased and democratic reviews that score repair-ability devices for the good of mankind.

Funny that.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I give iFixit a 6 out of 10 in their ability to understand that companies do not necessarily build products to be repairable by iFixit with many good reasons. For example more glue strengthens the substrate and overall monolithic nature of the device to survive falls, etc. And tamper resistant screws prevent the inexperienced from delving in to areas where they wish they had not. Such screws are quite common all throughout industry.

Oh, and let's not forget, that iFixit conveniently has a link to THEIR pentalobe screwdriver set and tools all throughout their allegedly unbiased and democratic reviews that score repair-ability devices for the good of mankind.

Funny that.

Their screwdriver kit and spudgers have helped me greatly. Otherwise, I agree that the repairability of a phone isn't a buying point. I don't recall them even caring if they could repair my old Motorola phones, or sony phones, etc. Then again, the batteries were user accessible...

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Here's a better idea iFixit:

Don't rate products on their ability to be taken apart, like its some radioshack knock off from 1993.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'm glad to have another link for all those forum threads about how cheap the C is and anybody dumb enough to buy one doesn't know anything about phones because plastic!?!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

Funny that.

I give your reading comprehension a 2/10. Obviously you miss the entire point of the website.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland

Funny that.

iFixit is a great website. I have a lot of respect for the time and effort they put into their breakdowns. They sell stuff to help people fix their iPhones? No way! You mean they are a company and make money by providing a service? Someone jail them all, quick.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
You can't. The 5c logic board is smaller to allow for a bigger battery.
Thats why all the talk about the 5c being just a 5 in a plastic shell is just bull.

Its a new phone with an old cpu in it.

And old screen, which is a pretty substantial part of a modern phone...

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
I give your reading comprehension a 2/10. Obviously you miss the entire point of the website.

Don't misunderstand. iFixit is a great website, and their products are great and I use them frequently. I just think their tone of scoring stuff and their pithy attitude is BS. Just stick to delivering good content and tools and dispense with the holier than thou repairability ratings BS.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
And old screen, which is a pretty substantial part of a modern phone...
Its a phone so the most substantial part of it is the (also new) baseband chip.
Now supporting all the LTE frequencies in Europe. Which gives the 5c a real advantage over the 5.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Good on more battery. I would really like Apple to use the 'grabbing-power-out-of-the-air' and solar cell skin so that the devices are constantly charging them selves when they have resources. Power's free if you know where to look. The consumption is getting low enough that these could make a big difference extending battery life.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Here's a better idea iFixit:

Don't rate products on their ability to be taken apart, like its some radioshack knock off from 1993.

The entire site is dedicated to budget methods of fixing electronics. If you dislike that, it has nothing truly interesting to offer beyond a peek under the hood of new hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.