Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
So I just got my ifrogz summit case today. It is without a doubt a clone of the SwitchEasy canvas without the latch that some people complained about.

I was quite excited to see how it stood up to the canvas but after testing it out there is no way this case gets my thumbs up. The sleep wake (despite the box saying it has that feature) does NOT work at all. Feeling the case I think they forgot to put the magnets in it. It is $10 more than the SwitchEasy Canvas and not only comes with less but also has less stand features.

Needless to say I will be reaching out to ifrogz on Monday for a refund or case that at least has been manufactured correctly and includes the sleep/wake feature.

FYI - I have also posted a video on the ifrogz summit and a head to head video of the Canvas and Summit on my YouTube channel if you want a closer look.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the review. Another great job. Looks like the Ifrogz is a no go. Unfortunately, the latch on the Switcheasy that I had never did loosen up. Wish Switciheasy would make their case with a magnetic enclosure....The case search goes on.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Many thanks for the that. Even if the magnet problem is sorted, from the videos, the Switcheasy looks the better product to me.

Dangka

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Psychonaut, I remember youu were torn between the Switcheasy Canvas and the Marware CEO Hybrid. Did you ultimately pick a favorite between the two? Or did you find a different winner? Inquiring minds want to know!

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Psychonaut, I remember youu were torn between the Switcheasy Canvas and the Marware CEO Hybrid. Did you ultimately pick a favorite between the two? Or did you find a different winner? Inquiring minds want to know!

Between those two I finally settled on the Canvas. I love the extra feeling of protection it gives me and I prefer the look over the faux carbon fiber look.

When I don't need the integrated stands I prefer the SwitchEasy CARA. Love how it's slim yet very protective. I'm hearing new versions of it include the sleep/wake feature but I have yet to confirm.

State Your Case

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Between those two I finally settled on the Canvas. I love the extra feeling of protection it gives me and I prefer the look over the faux carbon fiber look.

When I don't need the integrated stands I prefer the SwitchEasy CARA. Love how it's slim yet very protective. I'm hearing new versions of it include the sleep/wake feature but I have yet to confirm.

Hey I like your youtube video detailing the Switcheasy Canvas but for the time being I'm going with the Maroo/Cyber Acoustics case. Do you have any plans to review this one soon? I like its simplicity and level of protection. The Switcheasy looks like it has better scratch protection along the edges but it looks like the Maroo has better shock protection if it were dropped on the floor along the edge.

Thanks!

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hey I like your youtube video detailing the Switcheasy Canvas but for the time being I'm going with the Maroo/Cyber Acoustics case. Do you have any plans to review this one soon? I like its simplicity and level of protection. The Switcheasy looks like it has better scratch protection along the edges but it looks like the Maroo has better shock protection if it were dropped on the floor along the edge.

Thanks!

I would like to try the maroo but I'll have to wait until next payday :)

Dangka

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Psychonaut, glad to hear you picked the Switcheasy Canvas. I have it in black, and it is my only ipad 2 case. How many ipad 2 cases do you have now? You must have amassed a good collection!

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Psychonaut, glad to hear you picked the Switcheasy Canvas. I have it in black, and it is my only ipad 2 case. How many ipad 2 cases do you have now? You must have amassed a good collection!

Too many, in fact I am rotating through my collection and filming final comparison videos as I plan on giving more away in the future.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Any response from ifrogz about the magnets??

Not yet but from what I read on their website they are closed on the weekend. I expect a response within 48hrs based on what their email states. I will let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

csunflip

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I just bought one last week....WTH

Never jump on the bandwagon before it's been tested. Early adoption sucks...

C0bra K0mmander

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
New Jersey
I just got mine in the mail but I can't test it out just yet cause my iPad doesn't get here till Friday now. Geez. Based on just the feel of the case, I don't see or feel any magnets on my cover.Hmmmmmm

gmaines

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, Ca
I have the switcheasy....had it for about 3 weeks now and I love it... the latch works great and the unit looks good. it is a Keeper...

Lindalou

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
My summit works!!!

I just got my Summit! THE AUTO OPEN/CLOSE WORKS!!!! I HAVE MAGNETS!!!!

I like it, well except for the smell, hopefully it will go away. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have ordered the Switcheasy, however since I don't have anything else to compare, I like this case.

So as long as the magnets keep working, I'll be happy. I do like that there isn't a lip to close the case. Unlike psychonaut's case, mine stays closed but only cause it has the magnets.

So psychonaut, you definitely got a bad case! Would love to hear how you like it once you get one that works!

Oh and I was able to snap it in the plastic case even with my phantom skinz on the back.

Last edited:

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Not yet but from what I read on their website they are closed on the weekend. I expect a response within 48hrs based on what their email states. I will let you know what they say when I hear back from them.

You replied to my YouTube comment that iFrogz is taking care of the issue for you.

After your head to head comparison, I think I'll place another order for a Canvas, (cancelled and ordered the Summit, due to backorder on the Canvas), and just sell which one comes in second place. I just need a case, not a backorder notice, (my new iPad 2 is still sitting in its sealed box, until I get something to put it in...). :(

csunflip

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I just got my Summit! THE AUTO OPEN/CLOSE WORKS!!!! I HAVE MAGNETS!!!!

I like it, well except for the smell, hopefully it will go away. If I had to do it all over, I probably would have ordered the Switcheasy, however since I don't have anything else to compare, I like this case.

So as long as the magnets keep working, I'll be happy. I do like that there isn't a lip to close the case. Unlike psychonaut's case, mine stays closed but only cause it has the magnets.

So psychonaut, you definitely got a bad case! Would love to hear how you like it once you get one that works!

Oh and I was able to snap it in the plastic case even with my phantom skinz on the back.

What site did you purchase this from?

C0bra K0mmander

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2009
New Jersey
My iPad came in today ( a day early) and was finally able to check out my Summit Case. Nice looking case!!! Have no discrepancies. The magnets are there and the sleep wake feature is awesome. Time to enjoy my ipad

VietNam

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2011
I bought mine from att store, no shipping, no waiting. Mine works great, auto sleep/wake funtion does what it is suppoesed to do, doesnt cover the bezel, just snaps on the back and absolutely no funky smell so i am totally happy with it. Yes att store carries it, no need to order online.

Grimes

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
I bought mine from att store, no shipping, no waiting. Mine works great, auto sleep/wake funtion does what it is suppoesed to do, doesnt cover the bezel, just snaps on the back and absolutely no funky smell so i am totally happy with it. Yes att store carries it, no need to order online.

I grabbed one at a local AT&T store this past weekend. Pretty solid case. Magnets work properly, it is sturdy, and isn't difficult to put on or take off.

Overall thumbs up :D

jmdaniel

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Got mine on Friday, works great. iPad2 won't sync to my iTunes account, grrrrr..., but the case works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.