iGary's Fracking Trouble With Apple Part 1,252™

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iGary, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

Aren't those pretty? They blink on and off like Christmas lights.

Only happens when the monitor wakes from sleep.

This after I spent four hours in the Apple Store while they ran diagnostics on my G5 only to tell me that it passed all hardware tests and it must be my software causing the problems.

I think I may cry.

2. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe it is Steve Jobs trying to send you a secret message that he knows only you can understand? I'd be annoyed too if arrows popped up on my screen like that pointing out which pixels were blinking.

Me thinks this calls for more than a permissions repair. Can you back your stuff up and reinstall the OS to see if it still happens? Sorta a long way around to go but if it fixes it...

3. macrumors 603

iSaint

that frackin' suxorzz!1!

Is there an update on your other thread about your G5? Talk replacement baby!

4. macrumors 601

eva01

oh my, you really need help with your computer. Need major help I hope you get your replacement

5. macrumors G4

skunk

I think they're kind of cheerful: brighten the place up a bit, you know?

6. thread starter Guest

iGary

They did an entire diagnostics test that ran for four hours while aI wandered aimlessly around the mall and it passed, so the guy said it was a software issue.

(I also found out that they replaced one of the processors, not the logic board, and I noticed that they also replaced the primary cooling radiator with a new type - none of which shows on the work order - unless that is part of replacing a processor.)

It's all going back in tonight.

7. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

You know, I'm starting to think Rob is messing with your Macs.... ;)

Terrible luck you're having there. This might be a dumb question, but do you have your equipment on a UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation)? I had a receiver fry a few years ago because my power company was nicely over-volting my house. My Macs were all (purely through luck) on AVR UPS's, so no worries there, but it was a real pain in the butt, esp. because there were no obvious signs until I actually started using the control panel that came with one of my UPS's and saw the incoming voltage.

8. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I would guess that this is related to a bad video card.

9. macrumors newbie

The heat sink is attached to the processor, so that's normal - is there a white sticker with a new MAC address near where your serial number is? Anytime a logic board is replaced, there should be a sticker with the new hardware address of the unit.

10. thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, I have a CP900AVR, which doen't have software for OS X - but I expect it is doing it's job.

Should I go get an APC one - do they have OS X software?

11. thread starter Guest

iGary

Tried it with both - same result - unless both of my video cards are bad. This is exactly what happened to the first two I had to return before I got this one.

12. thread starter Guest

iGary

Wasn't the logic board - one proc only, and I just calledthe guy, and he said it's part of the "kit." One proc was running 40 degrees hoter, so that makes sense.

I reinstalled verything last night, and the only problem I have is that it locked once when I tried to restart.

Now the monitor issue.

13. macrumors 601

eva01

Has any other electrical equipment in your house been going crazy? Lights flickering or any thing of the sort?

And you have tried different plugs?

Have they replaced the powermac's plug cord? maybe that is sending weird signals

14. thread starter Guest

iGary

Nope. I almost cried this morning when the monitor started doing it's thing. I'm not trying to be a whiny bitch, but I just want to get some work done. :(

15. macrumors 601

eva01

Maybe it is the powermac's own powercord that is causing havock.....i hope

16. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm very happy with the CyberPower line, and it's a lot cheaper than APC. I guess bad power isn't your problem. So... looks like it's Rob.

17. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

At least you can get your Power Mac to sleep! Mine is such a pain in the ass I just turn off the display. It sucks, but that is a possible work around for you as well since this anomaly only occurs upon waking from sleep :cool:

18. macrumors 68000

atari1356

The blinking pixels are a new feature that came with the Mac OS 10.4.6 Update. Steve thought all the Aqua stuff was getting old and dull and wanted to add something new. You just have to go to the Display control panel and uncheck "Blinking Happy Fun Pixels". Problem solved. :)

Or, you could have more fun like you did with your Mighty Mouse... how about throwing your computer out the window of your car while going 80 MPH? :D

Seriously though, I hope you can get it fixed properly. Dealing with that stuff is a pain... it took 3 separate repairs to my iMac at work before it was back in working order. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 601

mjstew33

Dude, totally understandable. I would too if I paid about what, like 5K for a setup and it acted like that. :(

20. thread starter Guest

iGary

OK - it's the video card - this will be my third X800 XT.

The 9650 is working perfectly (not Aperture perfectly, but no Christmas lights).

The USB 2.0 PCI card by itself caused no problems...but plug my nano into it and no sleep. So out comes that card.

So, screen OK, will sleep on command and as set.

Now ATI hade better not give me any crap about a third return.

Thanks for putting up with me, yet again.

I think I will get a new UPS/AVR tonight, just in case.

21. macrumors 6502

Great. At least you got figured out what the problem is and apparently a recurring one. Wonder what's making those ATI cards go bad. There are also known issues with a lot of Belkin PCI USB 2.0 cards and sleep issues. Not sure if that's what you own.

22. thread starter Guest

iGary

Yep it was a Belkin.

23. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

Wow, that is rough. Did you ever try a GeForce 6800GT/Ultra instead of the X800XT? I know they are bigger, but you seem to have no luck with ATI products...

24. thread starter Guest

iGary

I may give it a shot, honestly.

25. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Now that made me almost spill out the water in my mouth all over keyboard. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.