iGary's Rant of the Day™

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, Mar 8, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

You know what I hate?

People who do crap like this in an e-mail:

I fracking can't stand it when people use a bunch of god damned punctuation marks to somehow covertly express that they are annoyed with me. If you are pissed, Come out with it.

How about:

I'm going to end up a hermit in a VW Bus riding up and down PCH 1 one of these days, I swear.

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

??!!!WTF are u talking about???!!!!111!one~!!!

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

One thing that is guaranteed to really, really wind me up – people who use multiple exclamation marks. I don't mind the odd '!?' if the need arises, but ending a sentence with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – ugh! :mad:

4. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

!!!UR SOOOO RIGHT!!! LOL

Email and IM behaviors seem to be melding together these days. We are all turning into five year old children who are more inclined to just pound on the keyboard instead of remaining professional about our official correspondences....

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I do this sort of thing all the time. I get excited then start going crazy with the marks!!! Geez--its just an easier way to express how you feel about something. But I will try to stop doing so much cause what if I am irritating everyone I talk to??

6. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I guess that is what is happening to me--I am so bad about it! But admitting it is the first step! I will try to do better since I am NOW aware it annoys people! :)

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Don't get me wrong... I think there's a time and a place for the more lax typing (IM more than email IMO). I'm certainly not always proper when chatting or emailing back and forth with buddies and family. However, when I'm emailing or IMing for work, I try to keep it more formal.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

dOOd!!!!!~~~ WhAt R u TaLkInG AbOuT?!?!?!?!?!? aLl tHe PuNcTuAtIoN mAkEs My TyPiNg LoOk sooooooooooo eMo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(To the world, I'm sorry)

9. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Hell, I incorporate IM speak into every day conversation. Only the common ones like BTW, WTF, OMG, NSFW and ****. Yeah, my girlfriend and I are nerds. :)

10. Lau Guest

I loathe an excess of punctuation, exclamation marks in particular. :mad:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

¿If we speak Spanish, can we use Spanish-style question marks without annoying iGary?

12. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

The hermit idea is your best bet short of exterminating everyone in your way.

Pick your flavor I suppose.

13. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I think it would be impossible for you to annoy me, Q.

I just think the !!!! crap has got to go.

I ignored the aforementioned e-mail with the ???______________???.

14. iGav macrumors G3

This sort of thing really doesn't bother me, I just read it as them being more expressive that's all.

The thing that bothers me (particularly on MR) is when someone, usually a newbie (not only to MR but probably to the Mac platform) posts a thread with MAC, Ipod, Ibook etc... in the title, NOTHING enrages the MR anal brigade quite like the misuse of capitalisation in a product relating to Apple so it would seem, judging by the subsequent fifty posts of oh-so witty retorts. :rolleyes:

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Just deal with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh-heh :eek:

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It has nothing to do with official correspondences. It's when dealing with normal people. If you have an established relationship with the person, and you know that they will laught at the obscene amount of punctuation or any other manner of horrid typing skills, go for it. But if not, play it safe...I've noticed I have a habit of trailing off my sentences with elipses, but I have yet to have anybody complain, and they really aren't nearly as noticible!!! You see what I mean?

I've noticed that the care put into your messages is the modern equivalent of the accent. You know how a southern accent knocks off 10 IQ points? if yuo ptu Abunch of misstaces in you're righting i nock offf IQ points and think you are a moron. Even here on the forums. I'll occasionally take the time to sort through a baddly done post and realize the person made a good point - and then ignore them again.

Sometimes, I wish the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 people would get a timeout. Maybe vB should build it in as a compliment to the profanity filter. Too many ! in a row, you get a 10 minute time out to think about what you did.

17. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Even worse is when someone refers to Apple, the company, as "Mac"... for example:

"Does Mac make iPod's that have radio?"

My wife has been guilty of that, and I correct her every time. :rolleyes: Oh well, not everybody is a computer geek. :D

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

board much.... ;)

19. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

bored*

mmm education.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He knew that!!!!! :p

21. dxm113 macrumors member

My fiancé often calls the Apple Store (brick and mortar) the "iPod store" or "iMac Store"

--Back on topic--

I agree w/ iGary, that crap has got to stop.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

See that's just cute.

You can't even be annyoing when you try. :) ;)

24. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

iGary's Rant of the Day™ huh?
    More like, "of the month"
    Unless your writing these from some planet with an extremely slow spinning access.

25. vniow macrumors G4

Are you trying to say iGary is PMSing?