IGN Grudge Match

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 7, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For those without insider knoweldge

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Resistance has no chainsaw... a chainsaw without a controller like the Wii has no love from me. Doom 3, RE4 and every other chainsaw all over again. Push that button!

Nah. GoW wasn't for me and I doubt R:FoM is either. Halo 3 has my attention but I'm not falling for the bucket loads of ugly hype surrounding it. HL2 just pushed the bar of FPS games, probably a little too much for it's own good.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Nicely written article. From what I can gather from that, R:FoM will become the Halo 2 of the PS3 - you buy it, play through the story once, maybe twice, then just sit online fragging people

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally I don't think the Wii would make the chainsaw better, probably just worse.... you aren't going to feel any resistance, and that's going to just make it feel wrong. having just force feedback at least hides that effect.

Slicing through something like there is no friction? I don't mind that for swords, but doesn't sound "better" for a chainsaw! :D

Funniest quote of the article:

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I empathize with the staff at IGn regarding the rb6vegas situation because when that came out I haven't gone back to play GOW save a couple times. I would like to try out resistance and see what it has to offer first hand. The co-op is what I want to see.

6. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Thanks man, I really wanted to read this.

7. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yeah GOW is quite awesome and I even thought about buying a 360 to play it. I might have if I wasn't studying for that exam I had to take so much. But, I'm still glad I held out for the PS3. At least I can play without framerate issues. ;)

8. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I don't know if Resistance will have the same lasting appeal as Halo 2. Or, if it does, I think it will only due to the lack of other great shooters for PS3. From what I know of Resistance based on the admittedly short time I've spent playing it, it doesn't seem like a game that I'd play over and over, like Gears of War.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

At least PS3 has a halo 2. Killzone on PS2 :rolleyes: utter trash.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I thought this paragraph was great. Granted, I'm a bit biased toward the Xbox 360, but I believe that the only reason Resistance is getting this much praise is because it is the only standout title in an otherwise unremarkable launch lineup.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Odd since these two games are very different... but anyway

I thought GoW was the most average game I have played in a long time. Takes a few sittings to beat, little replay value, with a decent online game. Boring weapons (cept the chainsaw), the cover-shoot system didn't make it any more WOW than a regular FPS. It was damn nice looking but it had annoying controls and too much going on with the A button.

Resistance doesn't jump out in anyway either though. I like FPS' WAY more than 3rd person so that was nice. I thought the graphics were nice, the online play is really fun (and free) some levels were great while others were just meh while the menu's and music sucked the big one. I could never get the controls the way I liked them but oh well..I think it's a good launch game and hopefully part II will be better.

Neither matched my expectations (the only games this year that did were Dead Rising and FFXII) but ah well...

13. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

:confused:
    I've learned that sometimes the whole world (according to you that si) can be wrong about a game, take God of War for example, everyone thought it was the best thing since sliced bread... I liked the game, finished it under 7 hours and was left with a bad taste in my mouth, can't believe GoW (heh I find it extremely amusing these two "super" games share the same abbreviation) won over DMC3 as best action game.

My point is, don't listen to the media, you can enjoy a 8.0 game like it was a 10 game and you can enjoy a 10 game like it was merely a 8.0 game.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

very true.

and just because everyone else loves the game and you dont doesnt make your point of view wrong, it just makes it yours.

a lot of the biggest games of this year have done nothing for me i'm afraid.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I rarely do anymore since I kind of have odd tastes in games :)

I just don't always get why games get such high scores. Like Gears got 9.6 from gamespot. Thats only 0.4 away from the perfect game. Gears has too many little issues and too little gameplay to be so close to a perfect game. But thats just me, I havea friend who swears jesus made gears he loves it so much.

16. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I miss WWW grudge match...they were really funny.

Best match to date: IRS Vs. Death

Bless

18. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

He didn't? I coulda swore...

Seriously though, Gears is too much fun for me, but for someone else, it might not be. It's ALL opinion, one game isn't better than the other. Interesting read though.

19. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Youu guys all seem really negative about Gears!? Whats there not to love about it? After receive an Xbox for Xmas my brother and I raced through co-op in three days. After attempting to play Perfect Dark after that I actually realized why Gears had such High ratings. Look, it might not be perfect but compared to other Xbox games it's the best there is...

The only problem I have with Gears is the local deathmatch or whatever it's called thing where you can play 1 on 1. I honestly hate how I can't add bots to battle against like I can in Perfect Dark. Hopefully XBox live will bring a new dimesion of play if I eventually get it.

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

No there are plenty of people who love it too. Just some big name games just dont do it for some whilst rocking the socks of others.

Personally I thought it was ok, but not the type of game I really enjoy - but I have a laugh with my friends online with it so it's ok.

It's just a case of a big name game with a lot of living up to do, will probably do so to a lot of gamers, but gamers like me who buy they game expecting to be converted still arent.

Zelda TP for example I really expected to love, and the majority on this forum are in adoration of it, and yet it's left me cold. Yet I enjoyed wind waker, ocarina, minish cap, link to the past etc.. so you would have thought i would have loved TP - but I think its blandness on a stick for me.

Just what makes a 9 or 10/10 game for some - makes a 5 or 6/10 game for others.

For the same reason some people like sprouts at christmas and others dont. Tastes vary, as do expectations. :)

21. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

The only problem is, HL2 fell below the standards set by HL1 nearly a decade ago! But I agree, newer games like Halo and GoW really don't do anything all that special that makes me want to play them. Its justu the same old thing over and over again.