(IGN) Wii game scores... anyone notice a trend?

Discussion in 'Games' started by p0intblank, Nov 22, 2006.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

(see attached image)

For the most part, all the Wii titles launched so far are receiving better-than-average scores. I think this is great! I don't think I have seen this successful of a launch in a long time. The only game IGN rated under 7.0 was Red Steel, but I've heard great things about the game. As a matter of fact, most comments I read about the Wii's games are positive.

As for the general public, I have already come across more than a few people that prefer the Wii over the PlayStation 3. I overheard a conversation in my Drawing class last night and heard comments like...

"The Wii is awesome. I'm going to get one."
    "Screw the PlayStation 3. It's glitchy."
    "I'll be getting a Wii soon."
    "The PlayStation 3 costs way too much money."

Not to sound biased, but I have to agree with all those comments. While I have not really experienced the PS3 for a good amount of time, I can honestly say that Motor Storm (playing on the kiosk in the mall) did not impress me. I realize I need to try out Resistance to really feel the experience, but the Wii is just so much more appealing. Not only is Nintendo doing something very innovative, but they and other developers are making games that are actually good and make use of the Wiimote's capabilities. Take a look at those scores. Is it really normal for all the games to be rated that high? Whether IGN is biased for the Wii, that's another discussion.

I'm sure you get my point, though. I've been watching a ton of Wii-related videos on YouTube lately and I just find myself wanting one even more. I'm so glad Nintendo found their sweet spot. Unlike the GameCube (not hating, I own one myself), there is actually a high demand for the Wii.

Anyone agree?

Attached Files:

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I thought about this when I got home and played the Wii for a while. I felt as if Nintendo had finally gotten it right. I liked Gamecube, but it lacked some things that could have helped it succeed, it wasn't the win Nintendo was hoping for. They have been fighting to get back the market share they lost to PS1(and the PS2 made the lead bigger) I think the Wii is what Nintendo had to do to beat Sony.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Probably because they haven't got around to reviewing all the games based on kids movies and tv shows.

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

as if there was really a reason to review the ps3's thrilling
    launch of 360 ports and the 5 crappy ps3 exclusives...
    ooohhh WWII with aliens... and historically accurate japan
    with giant crabs and women turning into butterflies...

love my wii...

edit... sky blue i notice your mario avatar so i suppose your not anti-nintendo... i hope
    the wii gets away from spongebob games i think it will have more credability as a real
    console if everyone isnt playing dora the explorer on it... but i do think the ps3 launch
    is a joke... i have a ps3 sitting on my floor waiting to be shipped and i have NO desire
    to keep it for myself... i cant find one game worth playing... where as i can find 5 or 6
    wii games i would love to play...

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Reading through the reviews on Gamefaqs - Twilight Princess and Trauma Centre are very high scorers, 2 big launch titles. Savvy. Plus I'm hearing mixed reviews about Red Steel (looks rubbish, great controls though etc) and a few others. It's certainly an interesting read and funny when compared to Resistance's surprising low scores, I say surprising as I thought this had 10/10 written all over it!

In GameStation today I heard a rather drunk-sounding woman (we'll ignore the Chav clothes) saying;

"Is the Playstation 3 an update?
    "No madam, it can play High Definition games and films"
    "Will I need one of them High Definition TV's? I don't have one"
    *and this bit surprised me*
    "You can buy a 360 now with the option to play HD films incase you get a HDTV in the future"

she went for it after a little bit of talking. Me and my sister just stood looking at Wired 360 controllers holding back a stream of laughter. Wanted a play on THP8 but had some guy hogging it :mad: on a side note it had terrible framerate issues. I mean the thing stuttered like hell - miss for me.

On topic though. Of course there will be low scoring games, but there does seem to be a good number of adequate Wii games out there. Finally! A good launch!

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good thing you know SO much about the story line, so you can properly judge it:rolleyes:

I've played it...for a good 3 hours. If was fun, a good game, but good enough to carry the PS3 for very long.

7. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

sorry... in an alternate reality where WWII and the cold war
    never happened, man has joined togther in england to fight off
    the aliens... is that close enough?!?!?! whatever...

i dont think this game quite has the carrying power of metal gear, FF, or devil may cry
    you know... a worthwhile game...

8. wako macrumors 65816

Resistance is a story that WWII never happened. Instead, before the Nazis could start anything, Chimeria (alien?) came and devastated the world. I personally think of the storyline as Gears of War in the late 1930s....

In my opinion, Resistance looks like a great game but to be honest, doesnt seem great enough to shell out 500 bucks for a system and then another 50 bucks for the game. As it seems now, the game doesn't even take advantage of the SIXAXIS capabilities, and doesnt even look like it takes advantage of the powerhouse the PS3 has underneath the skin!

All the PS3 games all looked rushed. Reviews for almost all the exclusive PS3 games had terrible reviews. All of the games that aren't exclusive all look like the Xbox360 graphics. It does look like it has a bit more anti-aliasing, taking away all boxy lines and such, but other then that, why cash in a few hundred dollars or a grand if you are forced to go on ebay?!

In my opinion Sony just screwed up their own launch. Many of the developers had to rush their titles because they received their dev. kits too late. Its not a surprise and many people were predicting this would happen. Nintendo didnt have this problem because the Wii is basically a GameCube, so developers knew what was coming and could already start building. Sony also screwed up their own system launch in the fact that they built up so much hype but had so little release. Their simply not living up to the hype they been building for so long.

As of right now, I have a Wii and 360. 360, I have loved it since day one. The games out there really blew me away with the graphics. Microsoft truely did introduce "next generation." The Wii on the other hand I have mixed feelings. It is definitely a great innovative system, however I am also disappointed in their launch title.

Let us look at the launch title for the Wii. Right now the only game that is a must have is Zelda. Okay. Great, i agree, so far, so good. The other games? Monkey Balls? Trauma Center with an anime flare? Rayman is back? That game was so stupid on the first time around, why make another?! And Red Steel totally was rushed. Every reviewer and anyone who has played it has noticed the CONTROLS SUCK. The rest of the game are a joke to people who are older.

I want something a bit more... mature which usually Playstation can always deliver. I can still stand the italian plumber, and his pals, but Monkey balls? NO WAY. An Anime-ish character? I would probably feel like Im playing some hentai game. What is worse about the launch lineup for the Wii is that there is NO Mario game! I think the same happened with the GameCube, I dont know, GameCube is one system that I definitely passed up because everyone knew it was going to be third place in the console wars. But man, I cant believe there was no mario. I was utterly devastated!

All in all, I think both launch line up of games sucks. I think we just simply need to wait a bit more for the games to roll out and see what the possibilities are on each system. I am really excited about the PS3. If KillZone 2 comes out with amazing graphics, it will definitely be on my shopping list next year. Same for the Wii. If they manage to make a game to cover up the Red Steel blunder I will be extremely happy I bought the Wii. The main reason why I bought the Wii is because I saw so much potential in the Wii in first person shooters. The next year will be much more interesting then the launch. We will finally see what to make out of the PS3's power house, and the Nintendo Wii's extreme risk on innovation over graphical power.

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

IGN is very favorable with the Wii reviews, go over to Gamespot and it seems they dont like the Wii game as much (They gave Zelda an 8.8). but then again GS gave Gears 9.6 (wtf...? It's not THAT amazing)

My one beef with IGN is that they have their specialized departments. So Matt C. does most of the Wii reviews. Well thats all well and good except then you only get Wii boy #1 doing reviews you get a Nintendo fan giving his opinion, same goes with PS3 and 360. I find the whole ordeal to make for a bit of a bias towards whatever department you are reading.

10. wako macrumors 65816

:eek: :eek: :eek: Do you even have a 360?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah

and it took my buddy and I two nights to beat it and me another 2 days to beat it myself. Sure it was fun, but now what? You can only shoot the same dudes in the same spots with the same scripts so many times. I'm not hardcore into multiplayer so that takes away a lot of the "awesomeness" for me.

Plus it had the good old Halo 2-esc ending. Wow, think there will be another one? Both my friend and I were like "wtf, its over?! thats it? weak..."

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Before being treated to a hip hop fart to the face :p

I've played bits of it (mostly sparse minutes when my brother was on the toilet), and I gotta say in 480i with stereo speakers - I was crying out for a little more subtle HL2 style gameplay, it really gave me a short, but obvious view into the super-repetative gameplay I feared it would have. My <3 is now with them kind of games I think. Doom, GoW, super plasticky closed quarters sorta games don't do it anymore :eek: GIVE ME CRYSIS.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You both must have been really sore :D :D :D

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Super ROFL!

15. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

So in other words, this WWII thing is almost like the story of the Ultimate Avengers just changed a bit?

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i like that special departments more than being reviews all over the place since you actually get to know the editors more and know "this guy likes roughly this and this guy this games" etc.

while on gamespot the review numbers are all over the place (just check out the numbers they gave gamecube games and then check wii games... in some points it's ridiculous low numbers for wii games compared to others ... seriously with madden a 8.5 (or 8.4) and zelda a 8.8 how much credibility is then left ?

also IGN seems to be more spot on in their sub categories like re-playability, graphics, sound etc. and actually have generally much nicer written review IMHO
    and i never sat there after playing a game they reviewed before saying "wow i don't agree at all it's completely off" with the possible exception of Fran's infamous 7.9ed

well i've been reading ign since it was about the n64, so i guess i simply now what to expect when i read a review of them
    (and that aside their editors making fun of each others is simply too much fun to pass...)

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah having seen Crysis real time footage/screens before kinda erases any "Wow" feeling when seeing Gears of War for the first time

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

a little chaffed but hey, thats why god invented Astroglide :D

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What I find interesting are the Metacritic results -

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ - Obviously with no super sought after games at launch you're going to get this. No game breaks above 90. And has the lowest rated game (compared to the Wii's lowest, double the PS3 games score too)

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/ - Who wasn't expecting that? Twilight Princess with 96. Actually makes it the highest rated game of this generation so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/ - The Xbox 360. 4 games above 90, highest being 94 (GoW) and Oblivion, tied.

TP. Highest rated launch title ever? Still not in the Top 10. Might change once the game is out in Europe and Japan?