Ignorance is Amaizing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sgarringer, Jan 14, 2005.

1. sgarringer macrumors regular

http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=digital_illusion&tab=weblogs&uid=186578702

Really, just makes my blood boil how misinformed people really are. Although the best is his reply to my post where he says:

Don't worry, I called him on it.

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes, it is (as you so ironically described it) "amaizing".

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Lyle, that was sooo corn-y...

As to the original post/topic,

The guy is just spewing rhetoric, so whatever...

I will say I actually agree with him about certain points, though obviously not for the same reasons.

I would also like to see a peaceful, calm inauguration. While it is certainly in our rights to protest, I personally think it should be done somewhat judiciously, in part to avoid giving ammunition to guys like this.

Also, I try hard to keep a respect for the institutions of this country, even if I don't agree with the individual or even if the individual doesn't seem to respect those same institutions. For that reason, I think it is respectful to protest at another time as well as pragmatic - as Right-wing pundits would be all over a demonstration at the inauguration as an example of Democrats being (a) bitter (b) negative (c) un-patriotic and so on.....

The author is also right that Bush was legitimately elected by our system, whether we like it or not. Sure, there were voting irregularities, but for all intensive purposes, no-one is contesting the results. Half the country did vote for the guy.

Still, the other half didn't and are of course, being marginalized or ignored...

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Haha this isn't surprising. Conservatives tend to view the "sheep" (working class) condescendingly.

I watched Fox News the other day when this CEO of an Oil Company came on. He was literally foaming at the mouth, while he hysterically called all liberals idiots. What a dumbass.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if "our system" includes gaming that system, then i agree. i do not agree, however, that the outcome lined up with voter intent. either now or in 2000.

in 2004, either they got better at hiding it, or the media and populace cared less about learning it.

6. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

My good friend voted Bush >> that's how effective the propaganda machine was working for the Administration. A good friend, who I thought had alot of reason with him. *shaking head*

All he could talk about was the Swift Boat veterans, even though he never once mentioned his opinions on this war, the Vietnam War, etc.

The second thing he mentioned was "terrorism" and the word flip-flop, and that moment I knew, I knew, that my friends were having the shade being pulled right over their eyes and I could only watch in horror. Fortunately, we don't talk much about politics, but I'm surprised how quickly he became a Bush supporter--literally overnight.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At the risk of being even more corny, I would point out that, ama(i)zingly enough it's "to all intents and purposes"... :D

Just trying to keep you on the "strait and narrow". ;)

And you can call me on "strait" if you like.

Back on topic, you have to accept the majority verdict, but you don't have to like it. And your right to dissent is not limited to once every four years.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Silly lazy me. Spoken, the two phrases (my erroneous one and your correction) kinda meld into each other. Written, it just looks like a stupid mistake:eek:
    Of course, and I guess that is/was kinda my point, or at least a derivative of it. If you are dissatisfied with "x", I have always thought it best to address that disatisfaction at those times and instances which are likely to have the greatest chance of effecting a change. IMO, the best bet is fielding decent Democratic candidates from the local to National Level for upcoming elections and formulating a coherent strategy/image to the Democratic Party to present in oppostion to the GOP pundits polemic rhetoric. Since the GOP has obviously given itself enough rope to thoroughly hang itself, with patience, time and with a well-honed strategy, 2006 could prove to be the Democrats 1994.

Of course, if someone wants to protest, more power to them, it is their right...but there is imo also those ingredients of wisdom and responsibility in exercising those rights.

zim, you are probably correct (I alluded as much). Nevertheless, the result is now considered a fact. Even with meddling in the Election, 50 million or so people sided with Bush, which however you feel about it, is a reality.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah, remember when there was a Democrat in office, and we could protest and make fun of him, and it was considered patriotic? Not that there was much to protest about, but it was still nice to be able to have dissent if he was doing something you didn't like. :cough: Monica :cough: But I guess it's only ok if the people in charge are annoying, whiny liberals who just want to tax you and spend the money on social programs nobody cares about.

Apparently, it's not ok if the guy in charge ignores evidence that causes a national tragedy, takes us to war on trumped up charges, puts us more into debt, lets assault weapons bans expire, screw up Social security, Medicare, education, the enviroment, wants to stop gay people from getting married, etc, all while hiding behind a religious movement that teaches the exact opposite of what he is doing, and lets big business screw over the little guy while talking down to people and pretending he's one of them even though he was a cheerleader in a college his Daddy got him into, and didn't even finish his duty in the National Guard, which his Daddy also got him into, despite claiming to be a War President, even though he supports his War over his troops.

He is right about one thing, half the voters voted for him. I guess the rest of us should just suck it up and do whatever he says because he's in charge. I mean, what is this, America or something? :p