Ignorant Columnist

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jadam, Nov 30, 2004.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow is right!! he ADMITS to not knowing anything about macs, and then continues to bash them. what a fool...

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

"And Macs are better for graphics and videos -- or so I'm told. I have always used PCs so I don't really know if Macs are indeed superior."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

jon

3. jadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

jadam

tell me about it!!

4. iPegboy macrumors regular

I e-mailed the dude this:

Rich,

I read your recent editorial discussing Sarasota's proposal to change all computers to PC, or Window's based machines. Although I understand your point of learning having to be extended at home, this can be obtained with Macs.

Macs use Microsoft Office, just like PCs and files can be transferred very easily with a USB pen drive.

But further to your discussion and point, in the article you say "And Macs are better for graphics and videos -- or so I'm told. I have always used PCs so I don't really know if Macs are indeed superior.

But with PCs locking in 97 percent of the market, deciding what kind of computers to use in a school system is a no-brainer."

This is some of the worst logic I've ever heard. So just because 97 percent of people do something, then that's how it should be done? Perhaps teachers were upset, because using Macs everyday, they know it's the best teaching tool for them. Think outside the box. The district could save a lot of money with just some simple upgrades on software instead of a full switch to PCs.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Lets all write emails, nice emails, about Macs and how good they are. Not "you are a moron" things, but more "I disagree on your article completely. Here's why..." I'd bet he would listen. Quote that he doesn't know anything about Macs.

Sound like a good plan?

(His email address is at the bottom of the page, second page. End of the article.)

6. iPegboy macrumors regular

I tried to be not so combative, but had to throw in the "worst logic" comment, because that's one my largest pet peeves out there. But yeah, construtive criticsm might change this dude's tune a little.

edited to include the first article on the issue that i found:

7. iPegboy macrumors regular

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I sent him this e-mail

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My letter:
    :) I signed it, but I don't want you guys to learn my name... just some privacy, yknow.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yeah, that commercial always did suck.

11. unfaded macrumors 6502

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I don't understand the point of sending these emails. Sending ones that carry an extremely accusing tone and word choice don't do much in persuading anyone. I certainly wouldn't read something that uses the blanket statements (e.g. "I cannot see one exception") that are used in your email. Ask yourself if you'd want to read your OWN email if someone sent it to YOU?

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Bad Journalists!!!!!

One of the things that make my blood boil is a badly researched article.
    Ones that are written by people tyring to sound knowledgeable about things they have no clue about REALLY make my blood boil!!
    That's why I avoid reading 99% of music press and tech articles.
    In fact the only journo stuff I read that's not news is Jeremy Clarkson's Driving stuff in The Sunday Times.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

His point is valid only so far. Like others, I don't think you can make a judgment call with out actually knowing something about the computer. His beef is really with the school and its policy of Macs.

No teacher should ever suggest for a parent to buy a computer (especially in high school). Not everyone has one to begin with. Course work on computers should be doable at the school and if more time is needed, then the teacher needs to evaluate what they're assigning.

Sad, really. Its not a Mac vs. PC debate, he's just singling out Macs. All the email he'll get will be an eye opener, I think. I hope you posts a follow up.

D

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

On Polished Apples

Let's see how reasonable he is... here is what I wrote to him:

Mr. Brooks,
    I was amazed at how uninformed and oddly written your article on Macs in education was. Being a PC and a Mac user, the Director of Technology in a school district with many years experience, I would be glad to comment on each of your points if you'd like. No ranting, just calm discussion. The power of the press is to investigate and enlighten. Unfortunately you seem to have latched on to the old "most people don't use it and I don't use it so don't use it" syndrome. Also, and more importantly from an investigative point of view, the total lack of accuracy on Mac facts is appalling and inexcusable. Without accurate facts, what's left is... an article worth less than nothing.

Sincerely,
    L Kern
    Director of Technology
    MCHS

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

... (him) being a teacher i hate to think how many children's lives he has influenced.

know who is teaching your children! this guy is a ****ing moron and he's not alone...

peace.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

"And if teachers find that the new PCs at school aren't compatible with the Macs they have at home, they can always go out and buy a PC for home."

He is certainly very biased. A lack of journalistic integrity, something that we have lost today. Now that it has been going on in the news for several decades, it has arrived in computers and science.

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Does this guy listen to music on his PC or using a mp3 player? If it isn't from iTunes or using an iPod then the marketshare is too small. He needs to switch immediately.

By the way, I bet his graphics and videos suck on his PC.
    :D

19. Barham macrumors regular

Ah, welcome to the world of Column Filler. That's all this article is. I think that I'll write in as well, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't read a single email. This article is poorly written from the get go, and I'd bet that this guy knows it! It's written as if he had already left for vacation and wrote the entire thing in a sitting (sans research) before a holiday activity. It makes me wonder how people like him get jobs writing for newspapers, websites, and other organizations. This article wouldn't fly in Journalism 101. I take that back, this wouldn't fly in English 101.

It's surprising though, how many people come from, and relate to the logic he uses. Popularity is the language of the uninformed. I have yet to meet someone that uses a Mac regularly and still thinks that they "suck". But, you hear lots of people claiming that when they haven't used them very much. It's the same with Music, Movies, even Video Games. The uninformed choose and usually defend what is the most popular.

-Hasta

20. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Its ironic that you say that b/c the same thing can be said about this very thread (and BBS as a whole). Of course, the name already implies the popular interest (duh), but it doesn't excluded yourself and the other members of this board from having the same "popular thoughts" and majority rules.

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

being a geek amongst geeks hardly makes anyone popular...

there are those of us who are the minority in a minor-majority... popularity is not why i use my mac or post here. irony makes the world go round... otherwise it would stand still.

peace.

22. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Shovel

I'm tempted to respond to this editorial, but as a friend of mine is fond of saying, "I don't have a shovel large enough to fill this intellectual void."

23. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    and this is the herald tribune...the FLORIDA heralrd tribune HAHA

this guys editor should be sacked as well