Ignorant newbie needs some laptop advice

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Rufus33, Nov 19, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2008
    Here's what I have:
    M-Audio Fast Track USB
    Session Program

Digidesign Mini M-Box
    Pro Tools LE 7.1

I want a laptop to record my vocals and guitar and be able to take a "mobil studio" to wherever I am going. Eventually as I learn more, I may want to record drums, bass, guitar, etc. I have spent a good 2 years recording on my own and collaborating via the net through the M-Audio Sessions program (I know it's basic).

I bought a bundle last year with Pro Tools LE 7.1 and the Didigdesign mini M-Box which I have had sitting for a year until I could afford a laptop. Now I am ready for the laptop and want to start tinkering with the ProTools program. I also have a 500gb external hard drive to dump to. What laptop would you recommend and what specifications should I consider (RAM, GB, Khz, etc)? I will pretty much only use it for music making and internet access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)
  2. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    Based on what you've said there I'd recommend the unibody MB w/ as much RAM as you can squeeze into it. You didn't specify what your external HD is, FW or USB. I assume its USB.

If its FW then you'll have to consider a Pro or get the white MB if you want a new portable rig.

Anyways, the MB is the most bang for the buck and easily meets your requirements.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2008
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2008
    Basingstoke, UK
    A word of warning...

Alot of Digidesign Mbox Users, including myself, are having serious problems with the core audio drivers for OS X Leopard.

Problems include core audio applications like iTunes, etc crashing and hanging and causing kernel panics.

For more information see Digidesigns forums...

This problem has been going on for more than a year now, and digidesign have responded only by saying a core audio update in early 2009 should fix the problem, not very reassuring!

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2008
    Ooooh...I guess I will be crossing my fingers then because last night I just bought the 2GB 15.4" Macbook Pro to use with my USB ported program(s). Any other words of wisdom besides the thread from Sammio (Thanks!). I guess I'm hoping the a 2008 version may work better. Am I wishful thinking?