Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Actually, was late 2013 I think. It was on one of the sharp interviews from ces on you tube.

----------

If the next idevices do use igzo, do you think apple will market it as such or do you think they'll just market the reduced thickness etc.

Knowing Apple, they will talk about the reduced thickness, new manufacturing process (GF/2), mini inspired-design advantages and how suddenly there is increase in brightness,better colour saturation, increased resolution (326ppi). They might mention new display tech, but definitely not going to mention Sharp...( mostly even the word IGZO will get swallowed) :p

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Actually, was late 2013 I think. It was on one of the sharp interviews from ces on you tube.

Care to link it?

Edit: Found an interview with someone from Sharp during CES. According to him there's already a phone and tablet on the japanese market using IGZO and he expects/guesses that americans would see IGZO products in the spring or summer 2013.

It's funny because he doesn't say "tablet" when he refers to possible future IGZO products, he says "iPad".

Now, I'm not saying that there will be an IGZO iPad in the spring or summer, there could have arisen manufacturing issues or whatever to make Apple push the release to the fall. But from the looks of it IGZO is in production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwQlsZmhhU

Last edited:

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Who cares? If you individually happen to be red-green colorblind

It doesn't matter that you're 1.78 meters and 73kg

Whether you prefer a different distance or have sharper or weaker eyes doesn't matter

Nothing about how you use it or what you put on it.

that metric is not based on YOUR EYES or YOUR USE.
Show me where I'm talking about user's preference?
seriously ...

What's displayed on screen will change the distance of use. That you refuse the discussion is beyond me.
You are only repeating the same things, you deliberately stick to always the same arguments, carefully omitting to answer to some points I make. I've not seen contradiction or answers in the elements you expose (not subject to discussion when simple facts that won't be false).

wtf

How relevant is it to use as reference Home Theater norms and HDTV screens with all the same resolution at different sizes and then relative distance, when we're talking about computer/tablet/phone screens? Desktop OSes and mobile OSes have different conventions and usages, their users are closer to their screens [relatively], their UIs are designed accordingly, for screens with pixel sized (at least in the Apple world) proportionnally: 160-130 130-110-100 ppi with 2x variants.
Why only consider the hardware aspect, and never the software? the answer "because it's not relevant" is not receivable.

From my first post in this thread:
Used as a 960x540 pts screen (for example. 2x is only more convenient), with all the right technics to use all the pixels, an HDTV will probably display content (other than a movie/TV show. Text in particular) allowing the user to be at a distance suffisant to qualify it as retina. Not if it's used as a 1920x1080 display, as well as the 21.5" iMac isn't retina
It doesn't negate the intrinsic minimal distance of a given screen at which individual pixels become indistinguishables.
Without software/content displayed, a screen is a black sea of pixels, or specs on a box.
The 'retina' qualificative means you'll be able to use a screen at the distance pixels become invisible in 2x HiDPI mode. Not every screen can be used for an iOS or an OS X device, the software/UIs built are limiting as they were exactly built for specific pixel densities and relative distances.

Last edited:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Care to link it?

Edit: Found an interview with someone from Sharp during CES. According to him there's already a phone and tablet on the japanese market using IGZO and he expects/guesses that americans would see IGZO products in the spring or summer 2013.

It's funny because he doesn't say "tablet" when he refers to possible future IGZO products, he says "iPad".

Now, I'm not saying that there will be an IGZO iPad in the spring or summer, there could have arisen manufacturing issues or whatever to make Apple push the release to the fall. But from the looks of it IGZO is in production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwQlsZmhhU

I cant find the exact video but that one pretty much says the same thing. In that video, I think he meant tablet when he said ipad. The Sharp Aquos pad, Aquos phone Zeta and HTC Butterfly J all use igzo displays but they are only available in Japan.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
I cant find the exact video but that one pretty much says the same thing. In that video, I think he meant tablet when he said ipad. The Sharp Aquos pad, Aquos phone Zeta and HTC Butterfly J all use igzo displays but they are only available in Japan.
Yes he certainly meant tablet but it's funny that he uses the term iPad specifically and not tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.