iHate iTunes!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Philp, Apr 14, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I just wanted to put a thread up to say HOW MUCH I LOVE iTunes.
    All you see on these forums are threads saying what it is you don't like about it etc etc. All negative!

I just wanted to show my appreciation to iTunes. I was just using it for about an hour now, I wiped an iPod and started again. It was so easy, quick and user-friendly.

When I think back to the darker days of SoundJam and such, I remember just how much I have to owe this program.

Ok, so maybe it's a bit heavy or light handed in certain situations, but generally I think it strikes a great balance that I enjoy on a daily basis.

Anyone with an iPod should look here for the "missing link".

And anyone not satisfied with the sound output (or have a bunch of downloads at different volumes) should look into this as a real alternative to "sound enhancer".

It's grenerally very great, and a pleasure to use! Let us all show our appreciation on this thread (no negative comments please!)!
    :)

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

a-MEN! i love iTunes and could never go back to musicmatch or WiMP or whatever i used before. it's what made me switch! i said, hey if itunes is this great, panther must be, and whaddya know, i was right :p

3. brap macrumors 68000

Always makes for an interesting thread.

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

5. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Thought I'd be a lot more likely to get people about to rant to me who loved it then! See! - Got Ya! ;)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

iAgree

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

iDoToo

8. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Nice to see someone happy with Apple :) ...... lots of gloom and negativity on these boards at the moment.

9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Anyone remember GrayAmp?

Ah, how far we've come...

10. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

People love to complain so much - it does feel good just to sometimes say;

"you know what, I'm happy with this, I like it, it makes my day better and easier, and a lot more fun!"

:)

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I casually went to the Apple site. I saw iTunes. I go "This looks clean". So, I download iTunes. Over the course of 2 to 3 weeks, I say to myself, "this is so awesome. Maybe I should get one of these iPod thingamajigs." So I change my Christmas list at the last minute and am lucky enough to recieve one. I use the iPod and am like "I love this thing". I begin to investigate Macs, as my VAIO is crapping out. Wait and wait and wait and finally spring when the new PBs are released. Been happy ever since...:)

12. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

I love this thread already! It's good to feel good!
    Don't think anyone would go on if it said "iLove iTunes - Who's with me?" would they?
    You crazy Guys! :D

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course we are crazy, we are on MacRumors after all ;)

now where did i put my medicine..... :eek: :p

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Chalk me up as another iTunes lover.

...or is that iLover? ;)

15. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

or iLova ( from Saturday Night Live)

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

iTunes has certainly made it so I listen to music a lot more often (not that I didn't listen tons before), but the thing I love most about it is the way it's allowed me to organize my large music collection and listen to anything any time I want. I used WinAMP some before I switched, but I never really liked it. It supports playlists well, but not whole libraries, while iTunes is even better at playlists, and excellent at library management. Of course the integration with the iPod is another huge plus. I never used iTunes before I switched to Mac, but now it's the first program I install when setting up a new PC (which I've done a couple times since I switched). I tell everyone else to download it too. Sure, it's not perfect, but nothing else even comes close.

Thanks for the positive thread. My experience with the Mac, while short, has been basically nothing but positive, and iTunes is a big part of that.

17. the future macrumors 6502a

What app do you use instead of "sound enhancer"? Both links lead to PodWorks...

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I love threads where people complain about how they hate something because they think it doesn't do something that it actually does do. They just don't know how to do it. Then we get to make fun of them for being inflamitory. I was hoping this was one of those, but I love iTunes too. Took me awhile to get used to it, but now that I know how to use it, I love it too. :D

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Nice to see a positive thread. iTunes rocks big time!

20. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Will fix it, try again, or go here

Also there's a bunch of other stuff to look out for, like extra visualisations, and a TON of scripts to better handle data with it! Look here for most of the scripts.

21. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

I remember those days when I use to have to convert all my CD's to MiniDisc, and a "playlist" involved selecting each track, and then individually re-recording the track onto the MD. Ouch, when I think back now I wonder how I ever did it?! Good think I was younger, and had much less music!

I think iPod & iTunes have actually made me buy more music (either in CD format or on the music store if it's a hard-to-find CD that will cost megabucks!), which is a very good thing.

Geez, when I think back to a time before my iPod (Original 5GB one) iCringe!

22. the future macrumors 6502a

Cool, thanks, looks promising. Too bad it doesn't work with the iPod, though...

23. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Funny aint it! If this was a thread with a genuine beef with iTunes, i'm sure the posts would be raging!
    Well, here's one - ratings in the itunes music store! We need them.
    Ways they could do it:
    Arbritary or..
    Once you download some music and eventually rate it, if you are connected to the net, iTunes sends the rating back to the store, and all the ratings are subsequentially averaged.
    They would be very useful as often i look at albums i may want but a rating here or there would be much appreciated!

24. aamiic macrumors newbie

Quick question abuot iTunes.. let's say someone had 130GB's worth of music (27000 songs or so). Is iTunes going to barf on this? ..

25. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Unfortunately, I don't have that many songs (maybe someday), so I can't answer your question from direct experience, but based on what I know of the way iTunes works, I'd say it should be no problem. The biggest library on iTunes Registry (see my signature) has 90,000+ songs in it.

iTunes maintains it's database as an XML file which contains information about the songs in the library. It includes information, like title, track number, artist, album, rating, etc in this XML format. It also keeps track of where the file is on the hard drive within the XML file. Since the XML file is just text, it's relatively small, and manageable. For that reason, I don't see why 27,000 songs is likely to be a problem.