Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinguru75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
I recently purchased Ihome, the speaker system that works as a desk top alarm clock system. Initially I thought that I got a good bargain for the many things it claims it can do. After only two minutes of docking my 4th Gen 20G Ipod on Ihome, I heard my Ipod make clicking sounds. I then checked it and noticed that it was hot and became unresponsive. This is something that has never happened to my unit before. The only thing I can see now being displayed on my unit is an Ipod icon with a sad face and below is the web site of apple's support center. I tried resetting the unit several times but nothing happened. All it does is make the same clicking sound I first heard when I docked it in Ihome.

My conclusion to what happened is possibly the the Ihome caused an unknown malfunction on my Ipod. I read in the warranty of apple that if a malfunction in any Ipod is caused by a third party product or accessory, they will automatically nullify the product warranty. Can anyone tell me if I can hold Ihome responsible for what happened? Shouldn't they at the least replace my Ipod? I've had my Ipod for only 10 months now and prior to this incident I have never had any issues with it. Please help. I need advice on this issue.

Thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
vinguru75 said:
I recently purchased Ihome, the speaker system that works as a desk top alarm clock system. Initially I thought that I got a good bargain for the many things it claims it can do. After only two minutes of docking my 4th Gen 20G Ipod on Ihome, I heard my Ipod make clicking sounds. I then checked it and noticed that it was hot and became unresponsive. This is something that has never happened to my unit before. The only thing I can see now being displayed on my unit is an Ipod icon with a sad face and below is the web site of apple's support center. I tried resetting the unit several times but nothing happened. All it does is make the same clicking sound I first heard when I docked it in Ihome.

My conclusion to what happened is possibly the the Ihome caused an unknown malfunction on my Ipod. I read in the warranty of apple that if a malfunction in any Ipod is caused by a third party product or accessory, they will automatically nullify the product warranty. Can anyone tell me if I can hold Ihome responsible for what happened? Shouldn't they at the least replace my Ipod? I've had my Ipod for only 10 months now and prior to this incident I have never had any issues with it. Please help. I need advice on this issue.

Thanks

From what I gather there is something wrong with the HDD inside your iPod. Have you tried doing a full restore via your computer - use the iPod updater software.

Whether or not it was a function of the iHome or not is kind of difficult to prove but I would take it back to the store and tell them what happened.

Oh, and it is iPod not Ipod and iHome not Ihome.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
vinguru75 said:
Thanks

Please keep us informed as to how this shakes out.. I was about to purchase one of those for my desk at work, but I think I will wait and see how your experience pans out. Hope it all gets taken care of.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Failing HDD, 95% chance that it was NOT caused by the iHome. Tell apple if you still have warranty, without mentioning the use of 3rd party periphs, and see what they can do for you.

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
IndyGopher said:
Please keep us informed as to how this shakes out.. I was about to purchase one of those for my desk at work, but I think I will wait and see how your experience pans out. Hope it all gets taken care of.

You might be interested in .

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
Just to let you know, I love my iHome and haven't had any problems. It sounds great. My only complaint is that it's a little bright to sleep to. Definately worth the money.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
They'll replace your sad ipod. It just happened to mine last month... i let them know, they sent me packaging, I sent them the iPod, a couple days later they sent me a brand new iPod.

They didn't even ask me how it happened.

Oh, and be sure to call them about it... because their website will say your iPod is out of warranty and attempt to charge you $280 for a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.