Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by achie25, Oct 13, 2005.

1. achie25 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    Does anyone here have the IHome alarm clock and speakers for the Ipod?
    I have been checking it out at apple store and it looks like it is really cool. I would love to get rid of my crappy alarm clock radio.

Does Ihome have good AM/FM reception and is it worth the $99?

Can you adjust the light and the volume of the alarm (buzzer, radio, Ipod)?
  2. achie25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
  3. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    I bought one earlier this month and was initially quite pleased with it. For use in the bedroom, I thought the sound was decent, and you can find it heavily discounted. I bought mine at Bed Bath & Beyond for $79 ($99 less a 20% coupon); some Costcos apparently have them as well for $90 (but they include the optional remote; $20 from the manufacturer).

AM/FM reception was marginal, but I have that problem with all radios where I live. They do include an external antenna adapter.

Mine developed an electrical problem of some kind so I returned it. Every 10-12 songs or so, the iHome would, in the middle of a song, advance to the next one. The alarm also failed to go off one time despite being properly set.

The only complaints I have heard of have been that the display is too bright (even on its dimmest setting it is like a night-light) and some have complained the speakers aren't loud enough (again, for a bedroom setting, I think they are fine).

There are two versions of the iHome; supposedly Costco has the newer version without the display brightness issue, and hopefully without the electrical gremlins I encountered.
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i was listening to it today at the apple store. i'm very tempted to buy it... at that price the sound is excellent.
  5. Jomoma macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2005
    I have one and love it, it sounds incredible for the price. Just be warned the light is a little bright to sleep to, you might have to prop something in front of it.