IIS under OS X

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by neno, Dec 6, 2004.

1. neno macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Is there a free software for developing and running ASP page under OS X ?
    I need it only for developing not for a production site.
    I think is possible if i install Virtual Pc... but is there a cheaper solution ?

thanks.
    Moreno

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Chillisoft ASP is the only thing I know of that enables you to run ASP on Apache webserver.

edit: hmmmm, but it doesn't say anything about working on OS X.

3. ct77 macrumors member

Not sure what you're trying to achieve, of course, but I think it is a singularly bad idea to develop software in one environment and then deploy it in another.

That is, I wouldn't do all of my development and testing using Chillisoft's ASP environment on a UNIX system (be it OS X or something else), and then deploy on Windows. That's just asking for unexpected troubles.

My own humble opinion of course. :eek:

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Also, however, it is a HUGE pain for us web developers to have to use a different machine just to be able to tap into ASP.

5. neno thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, you are right. but i want use ASP under OS X only for personal use, i dont' know ASP and i want learn ASP using my powerbook... for work i have a win xp machine ... but my win xp machine isn't a laptop :)

m.

6. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

www.go-mono.com, you can install everything you need via fink, I belive. ASP, .net, c# ;)

7. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Darn, beat me to suggesting that!

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am glad someone created this thread. I have tons of VB experience and felt that I could leverage my experience better with ASP.NET than JSP. In the long run, it would be better to use something that would work on a Mac. I would like use XServe instead of a Windows Server to save money on both the hardware and licenses. Plus it should scale better when adding additional nodes. I wanted to use something I call "Big IP". Having multiple web servers that balance the requests coming in. And eventually use Oracle 10g's cluster environment for the database. MySQL to start out since Oracle is too expensive for me right now.

Can PHP be used for large products like JSP? Is there a lot of freeware code libaries to help get started? Libraries dealing with common website tasks for example.

9. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Webobjects. Database Independent, OS Independent, Hardware Independent, Web Server Independent. Almost totaly free load balancing, tough as a rock, very well put together... tools are a little stale, but are pretty powerful, but sometimes complex. Price is very very good, used to sell for 50,000 for one licence! Open source implementations are also available, and you can package into JSP etc.

I have found it to be pretty nice.

10. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I would like to second this. Webobject is truly great. Give it a look.

11. neno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all !

Mono is OK !!! Asp work fine :)

I know php... but i must use asp now :( ( but i preffer jsp !!! )