Ikaruga

Discussion in 'Games' started by risc, Nov 26, 2005.

1. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I just thought I'd say after all this 360 talk JHC Ikaruga kicks ass on the GCN, possibly the best shoot'em up ever!

/me heads off to play again

Feel free to flame me on this useless post! :D

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

HOLY CRAP I WAS JUST PLAYING THAT TODAY!!! I HADN'T FOR MONTHS!!! Nobody knows what Ikaruga even is though, so i don't know if this thread will last long. That is so weird though...I love that game, very underrated. So creative too..How do you play, shoot or dot eater?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

yea im lost....whats that game? i thought yall was talking about a drunk that walked around town.
    i know a bum name karuga

Bless

4. risc thread starter macrumors 68030

risc

I try to be a dot eater, but usually I just die. ;)

Ikaruga

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

that game looks cool...gotta go look for it. i like those types of games.....sometimes.

Bless

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

ya it might be difficult to find, but call up some game stores around you and they'll probably have 1 or so..i believe it was out for dreamcast first, but i could be wrong.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have heard many great things about this game. I'm playing Nanostray at the moment, whilst its similar and has more levels I do miss my *right im gonna try and write the name without checking the spelling* Ikurga.

8. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

It is one of the best shooters I've ever played... I must be a masochist, cause I just love this frustrating games :rolleyes:

9. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Wow

Wow, I never thought Ikaruga would get on this forum. I bought it when I was in like 5th Grade, thinking it was just a fun space shooter.

Big mistake (I got to level 2).

Now I'm able to concentrate enough to get to level 4.

10. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Thanks risc, hadn't thought about this game for ages, but am now going to have to dig it out & spend the rest of the day dying stupidly quickly. :p There goes my plans for a productive work day.

I think I managed to get to level 3 as a dot eater, but then it got just too hard. I have seen some of the high score videos on the net and people must spend far far too long learning the enemy sequences than is good for them.

Must be something in the air today, with cult games like Ikaruga and Shadow of the Colossus being discussed.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting. I got it as a pre-played game months ago and became bored with it quite quickly. I guess I must be wrong.

12. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Not necessarily. It depends what you expected of it. If you thought of it as a straight shoot-em up, then I guess it would probably disappoint slightly, because it is a short game, but very tough.

I saw it almost as a puzzle game - working out the patterns of enemies, and figuring out the best times to change polarity to string together the best combinations to get high scores

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

that and also it can take a great appreciation for beauty / art to really get into the action at points, at least for me. People overlook how simply beautiful that game really is artistically.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Shmups in general are small games but extremely tough. They're my kind of game really. They make for excellent bragging rights too.
    But yea, take R-Type 2. one of the most excellent-ish Shmups of all time, it could take years to complete (or decades, in my case) but its only what? 6 levels long? with cheats or if you're very VERY good you could finish it in about 30 minutes.
    Whereas my shmup (Titan Omega ;) ) has 13 levels and they're bloody huge. only its much easier.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just wanted to say wooohooo:D :D :D :D IKARUGA is great and damn damn hard :eek: Never managed to complete it without cheating 'im affraid ;)

16. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

As fun as all those types of games are, I'd get frusterated and give up. I Just got a DS and its got tons of games like that (I've been playing Feel the Magic) where they are short but hard, I'm getting into them (slowly, I know feel the magic is quite easy comparitivley) but every once in a while I just want a game where I can kill stuff and blow ***** up :D

17. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I played it on dreamcast like back in 2001...

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I have it for my GC and love it.

I actually made some Ikaruga desktops and have used the in the past I like the game so much.

I try to be both dot eater and shooter, it makes the game even harder.

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Ikaruga is a wonderful game. Had a lot of fun playing it.

20. zathras macrumors member

zathras

Just a me too post but Ikaruga rocks. I've seriously considered building a dedicated Ikaruga arcade cabinet. May still do it one of these days...

21. louis_sx macrumors regular

Hehe...I imported this on the Dreamcast long before the Cube version came to market...then I played and played and played this until I got unlimited continues, then I played and played and played it until I got to the end...and I played and played and played it some more. Gotta be the best way I ever spent $100, given how much enjoyment I got from it before it ever got released stateside.

22. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Yes it is indeed a great game. I snagged it on the Dreamcast when it came out and loved it so much that I bought it when it was released on the Cube.

This reminds me that I need to break this game out and play it again.