IKEA is out the door....help find comparable desk...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lonegeek, May 17, 2006.

1. lonegeek macrumors member

lonegeek

Was going to order an Ikea jerker...but shipping is about 150!!! So I need to find a desk at a more local store...Staples, BestBuy, OfficeDepot.. Etc...

Can anyone help me find a desk similar to the jerker?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I dunno man that's a pretty sweet desk. I kind of want one now. Do you not have an IKEA outlet nearby? I know we have a gigantic one here in the Chicago suburbs.

EDIT: Ooh I like this one even better!

Attached Files:

3. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

Im around 2 1/2 hours from Chicago....Bestbuy,target, etc are only like 30-45 minutes away... So chicago is kind of out of the way...

Zach

Edit: Where is that desk from?

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You might check other IKEA desks you like and see how much the shipping will be on them, especially if the shipping depends on the weight.

I used to have the older version of the Jerker and remember it being very heavy.

5. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

Too bad i dont know anyone by ikea store that would meet halfway... And i doubt ikea(if they offered free delivery?) would drive to a parking lot somewhere and deliever something lol....

Itd only cost us around 40 dollars in gas there and back. But thats around 4 hours driving time!

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well from which direction are you?

The IKEA store isnt *in* chicago - its about 30 - 40 minutes into the southwest suburbs, right along I-55.

7. lonegeek thread starter macrumors member

lonegeek

Right i know...i looked on google maps..they are both around 100 miles from me ( im in northwest indiana

So its really out of the way to drive that far for a desk....

8. freecia macrumors newbie

Try OfficeMax

Here's someone who had a similar question- where to buy a jerker-esque desk without a local ikea Jerker @ Ask Metafilter and More advice

The easiest way to get something similar is to buy adjustable legs via IKEA and getting a butcher block counter top from a local supplier, then staining it. Not really the same thing but quite sturdy. You just need a drill.

The jerker looks like a Steelcase desk, so if you have a used office furniture store in reasonable distance, you can probably find a better quality used original.

My local FurnitureMax attached to the OfficeMax has some nice desks and at one time, I think I saw something similar. Try Target, too.