iKlear laptop Cleaner CRAP Streaks all over, Dirty Waste of Money

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lindmar, Nov 22, 2003.

1. lindmar macrumors 6502

Hi, Well,
    I just used my iKlear cleaner for my display of my new iBook g4 12" and it is now covered in streaks which look like crap to be honest.

I am very dissatisfied with this junk.
    The box says don"t make a 2000 dollar mistake using another product. I think I made a 2000 dollar mistake using their product.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I bought kensington portable display wipes for about 1/100 of the cost of iKlear and they work wonders around this "Apple Care recommended" junk...

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

3. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

4. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Use rubbing alcohol, which is what they use at the LCD factories to clean them before they ship them out.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

No problems with iKleer on any PowerBook I've tried it on. You may have gotten a bad batch or done something funny when applying it.

As others have mentioned, a soft, damp cloth works fine, too.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if there was an excess of any type of oil on the screen, such as skin oil or something, it may take a few applications for the oily residue to completely come off, which would give the same results you have. but yeah, damp cloth works for me. i do find it dubious that this product is so bad on the whole, i've never heard a similar complaint, for what it's worth.

pnw

7. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

Well to be honest,, I just wasnt impressed.
    I clean the screen once with the Kensington and thought "wow" if this does this good of job, imagine what the iKlear will do.
    So a week later, iKlear shows up and completley leaves streaks all over. So I used the Kensington wipe and was aple to remove most.
    I have not used iKlear on my display again..

BUT... for what its worth, iKlear polish does a wonderful job on the outer layer of the ibook! so in regards this is extremley important as well.

I have emailed iKlear , maybe I am missing something?
    I dont know..
    I was just a little steemed for my first review!

8. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Is this true? Will alcohol strip the coating of an LCD screen, or is it safe to use it? Just want to make sure before I do it...

9. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

10. easymac macrumors newbie

that's funny, i was just about to post this exact same topic. i have the exact same problem with those damn things. they suck. i got some kensington lcd screen things and they work great. they aren't the wet/dry ones, they're more of a silky cloth thing. they're awesome.

11. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, so much for all the iKlear Hype

I was so dissapointed

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I use it and I've never had a problem. I don't use the wet and dry wipes (They ARE too wet) but the pump-spray and dry wipes work fine.

13. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I use Staples wet and dry wipes and they work pretty well. But I have noticed some packs streak abit while others don't.
    So it maybe something to do with whatever they treat the wet clothes with.

Though best type I've used is the pump spray and wipe setup.

I myself never touch my screen only dust and such ever really touches my screen but I have the feeling that the oil from your finger tips get on the screen since I do see some keyboard markings on the LCD.

14. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've always heard that alcohol and amonia will strip the coating off a monitor.

FWIW I use iKlear on the outisde of all my computers but never on the screen. I get better results with purpose made screen cleaner.

15. Error Type -43 macrumors member

I agree that iKlear is a complete waste of money. It is totally overpriced, considering that it doesnt do the job. I had the same results, nasty streaks all over the screen. It ended up looking worse than before. In order to get the streaks out, you have to buff like crazy. But my arm is not an orbital polisher so I'll be trying something else.

It did however work really well on my Sony Wega flat screen TV.

16. Potus macrumors 6502

I've used iKlear for years on my iBook, my iMac, my iPod, and my various pdas as well as my camera's lcd screen. I have never had a problem, plus the manufacturer is great: had a question, had it answered, thanked them and got a little note from the president. I'd call them to discuss your problem.

17. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Well, I never suggested using Amonia, but I will once again reiterate that all LCD screens are cleaned with low % isopropyl rubbing alcohol before leaving fabrication. The rubbing alcohol you find at your local store may be 70% and it may be 90% and it may even be 98%. Dilute your rubbing alcohol to about 50% (buy the strong stuff, dilute 1:1) For what it's worth, last time I checked, the Kensington LCD cleaner is exactly that.

If it's good enough for every LCD manufacturer, it's good enough for me.

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I bought a lint free cloth from radtech.us and they give u little alcohol wipes for your first cleaning and from then onthe recommend using it when you need to lcean deep down. I do dilute it a little just to be sure tho and it really does the job, streak free!

19. optimax macrumors newbie

Opti-Max

You might want to review www.opti-max.net

I believe it to be the best latop, display cleaner on the market.

20. lindmar thread starter macrumors 6502

judging by your name and the name of the business, I belive this is your business.
    why don;'t you send me a free sample to give it a try?

21. optimax macrumors newbie

You are correct. I am the owner.

I can send a free sample. But I cannot afford to send 1000's of free bottles. This appears to be a very popular forum.

How about a small fee to cover my mailing costs.

For $2.98 I will send you a One Ounce Bottle, and 2 Free Wipes.

You can email me at sales@opti-max.net

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I use iKlear on my TiBook regularly and it always and I mean always leaves it looking sparkling clean. I don't use it anywhere near as often as they tell you to, so it has lasted me over 15 months so far and I'm not even halfway through what I got for the money. No complaints from me about it.

23. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I used iKlear a while back and it was great, but I just bough another package a few weeks ago ae it left streaks on my display. I think they might have changed their formula.

24. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i use iKlear when the screen actually gets dirty. it cleaned off the the keyboard imprints that i had let sit there for months (i was afraid to use anything besides water for awhile). sometimes it streaks, if it does i just wipe with water and then dry and it's fine. if the screen is just dusty, i just wipe with water.

25. optimax macrumors newbie

A Real Cleaner - Opti-Max

Ok, perhaps I am too close to the forest to see all the tree's.

I believe Opti-Max is the best. Bar None... And I will back that up.

I will honor above sample price. For first 100 new customers.

All I ask, is that you post your honest opinions... Pro or Con.

No matter what.. If for any reason, your an un happy camper, I will refund your $2.98

I have little to loose.... after all, I have had no refunds in 4 years.

Test me!