iLap Powerbook stand thoughts and pictures.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Gordy, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I thought I would post about my new stand for my powerbook to help any one else looking for a powerbook stand. I based in the UK so prices and stores may not help you.

iLap by Rain Design ( http://www.raindesigninc.com/ )

[​IMG]

I had a look around at all the stands for the powerbook and this one imediatly jumped out at me. I needed a stand for both my desk and when I sit on the sofa so this imediatly ticked both boxs. Nearly all the other stands were for desk use only.

The iLap is made out of two pieces of aluminium and two removeable padded cushions. The iLap is very light and matches the powerbook perfectly. The cushions are a nice touch and make it perfect for on the lap use. The cushions make typing very comfortable providing lots of support for your wrists.

It comes in various sizes from 12in upto a 17in model. My first concern was finding a source to buy it from. Cwonline have it in stock at a massive £49.98 plus shipping which was far too much , at this stage I decided to not bother. However I discovered via ebay a mac store (Shetland Mac Shop http://www.shetlandmacshop.co.uk/ ) that was selling them for £39 including shipping, they were based on Shetland which was miles away but a quick email followed by a telephone call had one winging its way to me.

Overall I'm very impressed with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a stand.

Pictures: (Click on them for full sized 800x600 pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nice. I have a 12" PB that would love such a stand....

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW: US residents can order it directly from Rain Design for US$50 (12"), and possibly cheaper elsewhere.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i have one and i love it. ordered from mac mall

only problem is the little rubber feet that come with to secure your book come off REALLY easy

no biggie though, those are what

a dollar to replace

good stand. worth the money :p

6. macdad2 macrumors member

My 17" Powerbook LOVES it's iLap! seriously though, this is the perfect stand if you actually use your laptop on your lap. Very comfortable and keeps everything nice and cool :cool: I works beautifully on a my desk too.

7. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I imagine you can re glue the feet on the power book if they come off I suppose :)

8. Zachariah macrumors member

9. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Gordy,

Thanks for the review because Im thinking of buying one. I notice in the pictures that u are only using it in 'lap' mode - i.e. with the front cushion attached. One RainDesign's website they have two modes - 'lap' mode (front cushion attached) and 'desk' mode which the front cushion detached. Have u tried it in 'desk' mode? Just wondering how the PB stays on the stand in 'desk' mode.

Is it annoying though having the CD-ROM drive blacked by the cushion? I have a 15" PB so my CD-drive slot is at the front I assume your 12" is the same.

10. iZach macrumors 6502

the 12"s have the cd drive on the right side.

11. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Crap! I still may get one anyway. If it is in 'desk' mode I guess then u could use the CD drive.

12. macdad2 macrumors member

get one anyway :) - the cushion is not really a problem. I just lift the front edge of my powerbook over the cushion while inserting or ejecting a CD or DVD. I mean really, how often do you do this :) btw... I don't have a desktop mode, the cushion stays on all the time. Makes a comfy wrist rest while typing :D

13. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

It works fine in desktop mode but I prefer the extra height of the cushions in place so I tend to keep them on :)

14. efoto macrumors 68030

Just saw this thread linked on another, great looking product. Great enough that I ordered one, I hope it's at my place by the time I get back in a week, looks awesome and sure as hell beats leaning forward to type on the coffee table whilst watching the tele from the couch :D

15. dcv macrumors G3

nice one

Am resurrecting this thread to say - thanks Gordy for the review and store recommendation.

I ordered mine from the Shetland Mac Shop on Friday evening and it arrived this morning. Great product and great service from that shop. The price has gone up a little - they are now charging £4 for delivery so £43 total but this is still cheaper than most other sites.

Have been using it most of the day and it's really comfortable and keeps my lap (and hopefully the PowerBook itself) nice and cool :)

16. Gordy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No worries :) Glad you liked it :)

17. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

does this stand reduce the temperature of the laptop also (ventilation?)

any other good stands (the icurve is nice but you can't type on it, otherwise it moves too much)

18. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

I had the iLap and eventually sold it.
    I thought it was a little big to have around and didn't really cool the powerbook enough.

Eventually i bought a usb powered notebook cooler with two fans for the desk and one MacAlly table for travelling and for use on the bed or sofa.