iLife 04 - how many users?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Jan 27, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

How many computers can iLife be installed on? I do want to keep installations legit. I just want to know if I ever do get that desktop that I can install iLife on it too.

Thanks.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

iLife '04 can only be installed on one machine.

If you purchase the iLife '04 Family Pack (For $79), you can install it on up to 5 machines.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can install it on one machine unless you bought the mildly more expensive family pack ($79 I believe) in which case you can install it on 5 Macs that reside in your house. If you get another Mac however (and it's new) it will come with iLife '04.

4. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I spoke to someone at my local Apple Centre who said the license goes with you and not the machine. In other words if you own a desktop and laptop you can install on both machines as long as you are the only (or main?) user.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i *hightly* doubt this. it goes against pretty much every licensing scheme there ever was.

i note that you will not be prevented from installing/running two copies, i'm just commenting on the licensing terms, not technical feasibility.

when i install iLife tonight, i'll read the license and post the definitive answer.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

7. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

If I get a desktop within this year, I would definately not be able to get it new. My university has auctions and in the last one, I picked up a solid G4.....which ended up convincing me to switch and I sold it to fund my iBook purchase.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Not entirely true; Quark XPress, for example, has a "Mobile licence" that you can buy to have permission to install the same software licence on two computers, so long as they won't both be used at the same time (a workstation and laptop combo is the assumption).

The CAD package Vectorworks (as well as some Adobe products, I think), also doesn't make a big deal about installation on multiple workstations; you can instead enter multiple serial numbers and it will make sure that there is only one copy per serial number running on the network. This allows installation on several computers so long as only a few are used for CAD concurrently.

I'm not saying that iLife technically is licenced this way, but it's not impossible that it could be. I'm also willing to bet money Apple will never give you a hard time about it if you do--so far they have yet to force any kind of legitimacy checking on consumer products, including the OS.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've looked at some older software licenses, mostly stuff I found on floppies at home. Many of them say you can make a backup copy, so long as it's not used at the same time. So it's very similar, as you could install the backup copy on another computer and just not use it.

10. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

one copy. on one computer.

Attached Files:

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Thought so. Because if it was per-user, than only one user per comp, or more than one copy per comp, and I think we can agree that it makes no sense like that.

12. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Off-topic:
    Nice avatar. :mad: :p