iLife '04 install problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by breathein, Sep 1, 2005.

1. breathein macrumors member

I hope someone has some words of advice for my dilemma:

I recently downgraded to 10.2 b/c of software issues in 10.4 so I'm reinstalling iLife. As soon as iLife finished installing itunes was updating my ipod while iLife's install wanted to restart.. and restart was cancelled b/c i was updating my ipod. when i restarted none of the programs updated and when I try to re run the install I get a message preventing me to install that tells me one of the ilife programs are running and i must quit to continue, but nothing is running. tried to restart many times, etc.. and I can't get my programs updated! i hope someone can help, thanks :eek:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You understand that iLife '04 was introduced during the reign of MacOS X 10.3, don't you? What are the system requirements on the box? If it requires 10.3 and you are running 10.2, then....

3. breathein thread starter macrumors member

I'm at work now and I have no clue what the specs are, but I have never had 10.3 but had ilife '04. so in other words it DEFINITELY is compatible.

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You have to be running 10.2.6 or later, according to the press release.
    Get downloading those updates :D

5. breathein thread starter macrumors member

I'm running 10.2.8!! eeeek! i still have no luck with the software :eek:

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

Are you installing from the CD or DVD ?? :cool:

7. breathein thread starter macrumors member

8. yenko macrumors 6502a

I don't know your setup....but.....depending on the version of OS and the kind of hardware you're using, you may not be able to install from the DVD, you'll have to use the CD. :cool:

9. yenko macrumors 6502a

From the Apple Press release of iLife '04:

"iLife requires Mac OS® X v10.2.6 or later, QuickTime® 6.4 or later, a Macintosh® computer with PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor, 256MB or more physical RAM and a 1024x768 or larger display. A 600 MHz G3 processor or faster is required for GarageBand and a G4 or G5 processor is required for GarageBand software instruments. An Apple SuperDrive™ or 733 MHz G4 processor is required for iDVD and a SuperDrive is required to burn DVDs."

:cool:

10. breathein thread starter macrumors member

okay, maybe that's true.. but my system hasnt changed since the last time i had ilife installed... so it should work to install again.. the only things that have changed is that i recently downgraded from 10.4, thats the only possible change of system config

11. yenko macrumors 6502a

OK....I went back and re-read your original post......Me thinks the problem started when you said:

"As soon as iLife finished installing itunes was updating my ipod while iLife's install wanted to restart.. and restart was cancelled b/c i was updating my ipod."

My guess is that you had your iPod plugged in while you were installing.

Do I have this right?? :rolleyes:

12. breathein thread starter macrumors member

yes, the ipod was updating while i was installing, maybe not a good idea but i multitask (too) often w/ this machine.. am I messed up or is there a solution to the dilemma?? :(

13. yenko macrumors 6502a

Multi-Tasking is great...but...Never while you're installing!

There's your problem right there!

My thinking is that the installer may have been "confused" (for lack of a better descriptive adjective) while the iPod was being updated.

If you did this before, you were just lucky that you didn't have problems.

There may not have been any issues with 10.4.x at all except for that scenario.:cool:

14. breathein thread starter macrumors member

okay, so the problem has been diagnosed, but whats the cure doctor!!?

15. yenko macrumors 6502a

:confused: Well..........First..Thanks for the compliment.

My guess is you should install "Tiger" and run all the software updates. (I hope you have a hi-speed connection.)

Repair permissions after each update. (Although Tiger doesn't screw up permissions as much as earlier versions of OS X).

Install iLife '04 (Without the multi tasking :rolleyes: )

Good to go.

There is one more thing.......can you tell me what your setup is; you know, what Mac you have, specs and all that??

thanks in advance... :cool:

16. breathein thread starter macrumors member

I can't upgrade to tiger because of software conflicts... there must be a way to solve this issue..i can't be the first to do this.

I have;

-Dual 1gig
    -80gb
    -768 ram
    -i dont know what video card
    -17'' studio
    -superdrive
    -1.2mbps adsl
    ummm yeah, anythin' else?

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm always installing more than one app at a time, problem free. Nevertheless, maybe try deleting everything you can find to do with iLife. Do a search (it'll be a pain without Spotlight, but hey) for iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand, iDVD and iMovie (I think that's it). Delete the apps, the preferences and anything else you find relating to this. Then, start the install process again.

The next option is to reinstall OS 10.2 again and start from scratch but hopefully we won't have to go there. :)

18. yenko macrumors 6502a

:( Then install 10.2.? or whatever you had before the software conflicts and run iLife '04 installer. You should be OK.

If the issue is that you already have 10.2.? installed, but can't install iLife '04....then I would start the computer in "Single User Mode" (Command-s) and run "fsck -f" (without the quotes) until it returns "OK"

Repair permissions using the disk utility.

Restart.

You may want to make sure that your file system is journaled. I think that prior to 10.3.x, the file system was not journaled by default.:cool:

19. breathein thread starter macrumors member

Will you please be more specific about running fsck -f -- i dont really understand the technical world of Macintosh too well.. so I get pretty nervous reading what to do.. i definitely dont want to reformat though..

thanks for being helpful

20. yenko macrumors 6502a

;) No problem.

"fsck" does a file system check and repair if it finds problems in OS X file structure/directory. By starting your machine in the single user mode (command-s) immediately after the startup chime, a screen will appear with line after line of OS X "stuff". Wait until you get a prompt (blinking cursor) then type in "fsck -f" (without the quotes)-(Space between fsck and -f) and hit return. Fsck will repair the directory and other stuff. If it finds a problem it will repair it indicating what it did. If that's the case, retype the "fsck -f" command again until it returns an "OK" (or something like no problems found, can't remember what the result is excactly but that's close.) Type "reboot" and hit "return". Your computer should boot normally.
    After your machine boots, find disk utility in Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and repair file permissions.

The "fsck" command does NOT format the disk, just repairs the directory (File System Check). In my experience, if there is a problem with the directory structure of your HD, you'll go nowhere until this is resolved.

:cool:

21. yenko macrumors 6502a

iLife '04 install problems reply

:rolleyes: Really Curious now, can't shake the thought of not asking..........
    but what application or software do you use that would create these conflicts in 10.4.x ??? :eek:

22. breathein thread starter macrumors member

Cubase

I'm going to try to do what you told me to do, thanks. bbuuuut what about that whole "You may want to make sure that your file system is journaled"?

23. breathein thread starter macrumors member

I did both of what you told me to do and neither were successful. fsck said that everything was okay and repair disk permissions repaired a few things. i rebooted and no progress has been made... :confused:

should I run 'repair disk permissons' say monthly?

24. breathein thread starter macrumors member

25. yenko macrumors 6502a

.............what "mad jew" said ;)