iLife 04 install questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cemorris, Nov 7, 2005.

1. cemorris macrumors regular

I remember that iLife 04 came in two different flavors. One was on a DVD and the other was on a CD. The CD version did not come with iDVD if I remember correctly and was ment for a computer without a DVD drive. My question is, can I install the DVD version of iLife 04 on a computer with a Combo Drive? Or is there some check somewhere that you must have a SuperDrive?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course you can. It'll most probably realise you don't have a Superdrive and will skip over iDVD too. :)

3. cemorris thread starter macrumors regular

I do remember that it would not let me install the CD version onto my superdrive powerbook. So I was just curious if the opposite was true.

Thanks for the fast info!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, even if it won't let you directly install iLife, you can use Pacifist to extract the packages and install from there. It's a good way of getting iDVD onto Combodrive Macs. :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I bought a copy of the DVD version from someone on here and installed it without trouble on an iBook with combo drive. I didn't try to install iDVD, but I'm not even sure you can't do that. I think iDVD will let you create the images, even if you have nothing with which to burn them, won't it? Dunno about that, though. I really just wanted the latest iPhoto....

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

As the person above said, you can still install iDVD on a computer with only a combo drive. You can still make an iDVD project and save them. I used to do that with my 12"PB, then save the images on my iPod, take it to my dads G5 tower and burn them, worked perfect.