iLife 04 installation issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeeYouEye, Jan 23, 2004.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

First off, though I did have issues, I also did get them sorted out, so this is more of a warning: the iLife installer is a bit destructive and very resource-wasteful.

So I get a copy of iLife for my birthday, and install it. Apparently, the install goes fine, and I play around with GarageBand for a bit. When I try to export to iTunes, (which was already installed), it asked me to locate iTunes, which I thought was odd, since it should have been in the default directory. Turns out, somewhere in the installation, iLife deleted the iTunes application completely. Of course, a large PITA, but an easily fixed one. Not so. Once I got iTunes reinstalled, what should happen but instead of exporting to iTunes 4.2, GarageBand refused to export to anything except iTunes 2.0 in classic! Deleting the prefs file for GarageBand didn't fix it; I had to remove Garage band and the associated Application Support files (located in /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/, not, as might be expected, /Library/Application Support/Apple/GarageBand/ with the rest of the Apple app Application Support files) and reinstall just GarageBand from DVD in order to get it to work.

As for the resource wasting: by the time all the installations (1 full, 2 single apps), I was running low on HD space, so I decide to restart, since that usually frees up about 100 MB or so. After restart, I found it had freed up over a gigabyte of space, presumably used as temp storage for the installation.

That's pretty much it. (Oh, and GarageBand is great!!) Hopefully, no one else will run into these problems, but if you do, I'd be interested to know in order to find out if it's a major issue.

2. pinto32 macrumors 6502

thats pretty f'd up.....I havent used garageband much, but iTunes has been fine......kept my same playlists and everything......