iLIfe '04 not free with all new Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stewie, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

During the Keynote SJ announced that iLife would come free will all new Macs. We that is not true. I bought a new 17" iMac from the Apple online store on 1/21 and iLife '04 wasn't installed (didn't really expect it to since my iMac, or at least the HD has been sitting on a shelf for some time.) But there was not note, offer, coupon.. Anything to tell me how to get my free iLIfe '04. If I visit Apple.com I can use the up-to-date and get it for $20. $20 is a hell of deal and compared to what I shelled out for the iMac is it nothing, but the point is I shouldn't have to pay for it since it is supposed to come free with new Macs. I have been in contat will Apple and I hope that they correct their mistake. Soon!

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hope you get it sorted out, it's ridiculous for Apple to expect you to pay $20 for something they advertised as free.

3. kanker macrumors 6502

They can't account for stuff in their warehouse, and generally don't. It usually only applies to computers that have not already been packaged and are still waiting for software installation. If you went into an Apple store after the Keynote you would have received a machine without iLife '04 on it, I'll garauntee, and you might still find machines in Apple stores without iLife '04 on them now. Was your order a BTO made after the announcement? Then you'll probably have an easier argument.

By the way, I'm not saying Apple is in the right here, just saying how things normally work. :(

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

That's ridiculous!

iLife only costs $50 to begin with. If you have to pay $20 for it, you are paying 40% of the price! For Panther, the $20 "shipping" fee was different, because it was only a small fraction of the price. But iLife was advertised as free. I hope Apple does the right thing here.

5. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

maybe...

that when they said free on all NEW macs they were hinting that there will be NEW macs across all the lines coming soon. :)

NEW:
    iMacs G5
    eMacs G5
    PowerBook G5
    iBook G4 1.4GHz
    Powermac G5 3.0Ghz

P.S. Dreaming is so much fun. :)

6. switcheroo macrumors newbie

i ordered a bto ibook online on 1/22 and it also did not come with iLife 04. i aggree it would have been nice if there had been some sort of literature included referencing the www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate program. i had to call apple to find out about it. its not a bad deal - $20 shipping included - but i had expected garageband to come preloaded - apple could not give a date when all new computers would be shipped with the new iLife - the guy said that's a marketing decision... for now this seems like the only option. all mac's purchased after jan 6 are eligible.

on the otherhand, i love my new ibook :)

7. Stewie thread starter macrumors 6502

Stewie

I understand that if I ran right out and bought a mac after the keynote iLife '04 is not going to be install. However I had a BTO iMac so I would think that they would have the time to install it or toss a DVD into the box. I am also sure someone besides SJ knew iLife was coming and could have prepared new Mac prior to the keynote. Plus $20 is a bit much for 'Free' software. Normall shipping is only $4 if I were to buy iLife '04 from apple. But it is not the cost as $20 is less then 1% of what my iMac cost, but it is the point. I am all about the point, not the cost.