iLife '04 trouble installing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdhatfield3, Jan 22, 2005.

1. rdhatfield3 macrumors member

I have just completed an install of 10.3 on a brand new hardrive. Instillation went smoothly and i have updated to the newest versions of everything on software update. Obviouslly i am running 10.3.7 though when i purchased iLife '04 i was running an earlier version of 10.3. I have an 867 G4 tower single processor. I have a superdrive so i am trying to install from the DVD of iLife. When i try to install i get a message that says that i have some of the iLife suite already is running and that it can not be installed because of this. I have repaired disk permissions and done restarts and of course made sure that none of the programs were running. I am wondering if any receipts should be deleted or if that would hurt anything by deleting those and trying installs. Any help?

2. awulf macrumors 6502

Try restarting the computer, logging in under the admin account, and make sure no program other than "Finder" is open according to the Dock.
    Then try installing iLife.

If that doesn't work open "Applications" -> "Utilities" -> "Activity Viewer".
    (if no window opens, from the menu bar "Monitor" -> "Show Activity Monitor").
    Quit any processes that may be related to any iLife component.
    Then try installing iLife.

Also try holding down the "shift" key while booting up (I think it disables some processes).

Not sure what else to try.

3. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

tried that but no luck

I tried all the things you sugested, it just won't let me install. I get this message every-time, that i have the applications running already. Thanks for you help though.

4. awulf macrumors 6502

Try creating another user account (with admin privileges) and install under that account.

Or try enabling the 'root' user:
    1) Open Applications -> Utilities -> NetInfo Manager
    2) From the menu bar Security -> Authenticate
    3) From the menu bar Security -> Set root password
    4) Follow the on screen instructions....

5) Log out or reboot, then log in with the user name "root" and the password you have given root.

And install iLife.

5. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

Will this mean that my initial account will no longer be the root? Will i have to do anything different when trying to install anything else after i create a root user?

6. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

I tried logging on as root but it did not allow me to install. I know i was in as the admin account and it still would not let me install claiming that i had some of the applications running already. Thanks for your help. I think that im about to do a reinstall and install i life before i update to 10.3.7.

7. laughingboy macrumors newbie

iTunes Helper is guilty...

I think it may be iTunes Helper (or something with a similar name).

I think I read that it works in conjunction with iPods, and was implemented with the most recent iTunes update.

Just go to process viewer and stop the process.

Your install should work okay then.

lb

8. rdhatfield3 thread starter macrumors member

you are correct

Thank you for you answer. You are correct as far as i can tell from the apple forums and the people expereincing the same problems. I went ahead and did a clean install before i read your suggestion. iLife running fine.