iLife '05 is here!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wbrowne1, Jan 20, 2005.

1. wbrowne1 macrumors member

I got to work at 9, and 30 min later iLife 05 showed up at my desk! Now its sitting here taunting me since i cant do anything with it until I get home. Apparently it shipped (free) FedEx 2-day yesterday morning, but I guess since I'm close to the distr. center it got here way early.

Didn't see if anyone else had recieved it yet, so i figured i'd let y'all know.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

3. denm316 macrumors 6502

Cool...Good For You.

Report back later, I am curious to know if Apple has added CD-Keys to this version of iLife '05 and/or Internet activation.

Enjoy iLife!!!

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Congratulations, please post back a review when you get home and get it installed. My copy is not due to ship until 28th Jan :(

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.......... :confused: ................ :confused: .............for you......... :eek: ............... :p ............. :)

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

there is no serial for iLife, but there is for iWork

8. iGary Guest

iGary

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Installing it right now, it came with the mac mini that my work bought that just came in today.

I'll give a quick review in a bit.

10. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

awsome

gosh ur lucky, i probobly wont get a mac with iLife 05 untill this summer :(

11. wbrowne1 thread starter macrumors member

well, i installed iPhoto onto my work computer to try it out. With 146 6MP photos, the eMac 1.25 handled it pretty well. There were some delays when in edit mode moving from picture to picture (it starts on a thumbnail, then renders the full pic). The adjustments work well, nice to have, but I haven't been able to check the red eye yet. The calender view is nicely implemented. I don't know if thiss was in '04, but you can hold the spacebar and slide the pic around a la photoshop while zoomed in.

I'm coming from iPhoto 2, so its a biiiig improvement for me. There was no serial, no activation. It came with a CD and a DVD (iDVD and Garage Band aren't on the CD.)

I'm looking forward to trying it out on the Dual 2 G5 when i get home.

12. denm316 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated.

13. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

So, its a day later, how was it last night.

14. wbrowne1 thread starter macrumors member

I really only use iPhoto and iDVD, but they're both lookin' pretty good. (pending some iDVD experimentation) :)

iPhoto is great. The red eye fix is easy and worked well most of the time, but since you can't control the radius of the fix it isn't always perfect.

iDVD has some crazy new themes. Lots of motion, more drop zones than I know what to do with. I tried burning a DVD with about 12 short videos that probably totalled about 40 min. I went to bed, but in the middle of the night I checked it and there was an error. I'll have to look into that this weekend. I think it might have been caused by me leaving it on "best quality" (for the variable bit rate encoder) when I had less than 60min worth of stuff.

(for the record: iDVD 4 NEVER produced a successful burn on my Rev. A Dual 2 :mad: )

This morning I burned a short 3min vid using the simple brushed metal theme and best performance as a test. Worked fine, very quick. The progress indicator is very cool. Lets you know what stage it is in, lists what item it is working on over the progress bar, and has a thumbnail to the right showing what exactly is rendering at that given moment.

15. denm316 macrumors 6502

Sounds great cant wait to pick it up. Called an Apple Store near me they said they have plenty in stock but cannot sell them until tomorrow.

Also said all Apple stores will be opening at 9:00AM tomorrow.

16. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

iPhoto is awesome now imo. On a g5 it is very fast and the editing features give nice results from what I've seen so far. The new book layout is sweet.

Keynote 2 export to flash works very nicely. You could make a very sharp looking kiosk or flash movie with this.

Pages seems so-so. Played with some of the templates and they seemed very easy to manipulate. Word import and export were not very good when I tried them. I exported one of the templates as a .doc and it didn't format properly when I opened it in word. I imported a word document with many imbedded images, and again the formating was way off. Exporting to pdf works nicely. I can't seem to find a thesaurus in Pages but I've only used it for about 25 minutes and haven't read any of the documentation yet. All in all I'm impressed so far, particularly with keynote and iPhoto.

17. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Maybe... but that Mac will come with Tiger, which everyone else will have to pay for... :)

18. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Mine arrived yesterday at my home address (I am at school). Just got out of class 20 minutes ago, now I am going to drive home and install on my PB. I'll report back on my impression of it later.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Ok, I should have this next weekend down here in Oz. I have a few questions about installing it over iLife 04'.

Is there any risk to existing photos, iMovie and iDvd projects by installing it as an upgrade?

For those with existing systems, how many additional MBs/GBs did the new software add to your harddisk?

It sounds like all up it takes less than half an hour and then you are away. Is this peoples experiences?

Someone said there is no serial number which I find a bit confusing. Does this mean you can't register it with Apple?

20. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I also can't wait for next weekend! And I also am keen to hear of installation issues over iLife4.

good question mate - must do a clean up of all my downloads to free up some more space this week!

21. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

ahh... good point :)

22. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Great News!

I had split my iBook to span 2 monitors and the 16MB of video for each screen was not enough to have slideshow transitions in iPhoto 4. However, they are back, big-time in 5 and even effects like cube and droplet and Ken Burns run seamlessly. I'm hoping they bring these same changes to the way the screensavers work (or don't) as well as Fast User Switching for those of us who aren't using a full 32.

Very pleasant surprise! - j

23. boneca macrumors 6502

Can somebody help me to locate Marketing PN

like topic says, I'm trying to register iLife 05 that came with my MiniMac and its asking me about Marketing Part Numer which I can't locate :rolleyes:
    I tried few nubers from face of CD and there are couple on the envelop, none of those seems to be valid???

TAIA