iLife 05 - or iLife 64?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stoogie, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Stoogie macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2005

I had a good look around the Apples site, searched for "iLife 64bit" in various places (including these forums) and could not find anything in these forums which looked to have the answer, so apologies if this is elsewhere... (not least of all, with all the PR on the net and references to iLife and G5 / Tiger being 64bit trying to find something specific in this area at the moment is not working!!).

I, like others, am eagerly awaiting (pre-ordred) Tiger for my G5, and am already an owner of iLife 05...

So, my question is...

Is iLife already 64bit? Or, is this likely to be a further 5.x release which brings this to market?

I have to assume (I wont be so presumptous to insist there will be!) there will be some benefits to having things like iMovie and iDVD being able to handle memory under a 64bit model, so makes sense to see "iLife 64"...

Does anyone have the low-down?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

iLife is not 64 bit, neither, technically, is Tiger. Tiger is optimized (iLife as well) to take advantage of the G5s unique architecture, but neither is truly 64 bit. That won't happen until all the G4s are phased out and we are on a G6 or G7.
    It would be ridiculous for Apple to write a 32 and a 64 bit version of everything, so we will have to wait a while longer.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Though I wonder if we will see iLife updated for Tiger and the Core technologies?
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm sure next year will bring a new version...although it's come so far, I think it's still rapidly evolving. I think I might skip 05 and go for 06.
  5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I guess is that any 64bit version of iLife wasn't any better otherwise you would see it as big news. Apple would sell more expensive G5's in the process. I am sure they tried compiling a version and did some benchmarks and it wasn't that much better. From my understanding, 64bit is better when working with files over 2 GBs in memory. I don't have any benchmarks to define "better".

I have heard that for some tasks, 64bit is slower. At least the tools are available to create 64bit programs for developers to try with their apps. More will be known about 32/64bit in the next 12 months as people come forward with their benchmarks and experiences.
  6. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    who knows... iLife 05 might already take advantage of Tigers Core technologies... if not, I would guess their will be an update or something
  7. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    I expect it'll be the pro video apps which go 64 bit first, as they're the ones that'll make use of the extra RAM.