iLife 05: To Buy Or Not To Buy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jan 12, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Well in my case I really don't have a NEED for iLife 05.. What about ya'll?

iPhoto 5: This would prolly be my main reason to buy the suite... iPhoto's new editing tools look pretty neat and useful

iDVD 5: I have no use for this program at all as my ibook has no super drive and im not much for that type of thing

iMovie 5: I would not use the HD features at all and I really just use iMovie to edit picture movies from iPhoto as I don't have a digi cam

iTunes 4.7.1: Well its a free dl, so nuff' said their.

Garageband 2: I use the current version of this program just to mess around with already made midi files that have been converted using dent du midi.. Question though, does this new version have ne new instrument loops or software synths in the box already? Or are they the same as ver. 1?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm still using iPhoto2 and iMovie3.

I was planning on getting iLife05, but then I realized that they bumped the price to $80. Maybe I'll just wait until we get a new Mac. Right now, all I use is iPhoto. iMovie is just something I play around with as I don't own a camcorder.

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I'm wanting it simply for iPhoto...and I think it needs to be mine!

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i only want iPhoto 5 but iPhoto 4's been more than great for my needs... so i'll probably wait. i use iMovie once in a while, but i have no use for the HD capability...

it's not as compelling of an upgrade as from iPhoto 2 to iPhoto 4, which was worth every penny, as far as i'm concerned.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

My mom is in the same boat. The only thing she uses from there is iPhoto, however, it adds a bunch of features that she realy wanted and had been complaining about it lacking. A big one being subfolder in albums.

One thing, they announced in the keynote that they were droping prices for ordering prints from iPhoto. My iPhoto 4 still has the old price. Apple wouldn't force you to upgrade to get the new price would they?

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd only get it for the hierarchical folders in iPhoto5, which is a sweet addition. But for $80, I think I'll wait and see if something else comes along.

7. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I agree, iPhoto is the only reason for the upgrade. The new editing tools and RAW support are very nice. I use Logic and FCE so no need there. I do like some of the new animations in iDVD, however.

Now the question..... is it worth the $$$.

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I will enjoy the all the new i-apps, but the ONLY reason I am getting this is for GarageBand 2....specifically recording 8 tracks at once. That means I could record a demo basically live with the whole band, with a semi-decent mic setup on the drums. This ALONE is worth the price to me.

Sorry, I'll calm down now.

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I use all of the i apps on a weekly basis - I will be upgrading for sure.

10. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I like the new design of the box to be honest, but that's not why I want iLife '05. Like most of the others who posted, it's all about iPhoto 5; for me, the support of video files is a huge reason.

I've been looking for "the iPhoto of video clips" for a while now. In the near future, I'm planning to buy a Mac Mini for my parents which will come with iLife '05, and hopefully I can snag the iPhoto app from there on my iMac G5.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think it is. The RAW support is a great addition. So glad Apple didn't list to so many of the nay sayers here. That RAW was too "pro" and would not be included in iPhoto for quite sometime if ever.

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

To buy.. I use Garageband for recording my band.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I think all of the iApps have features worth upgrading for in v5, but I am especially looking forward to Garage Band 2. I like the multi track recording and the new real-time music notation feature.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm kind of leaning towards not buying iLife '05... iPhoto looks like a nice upgrade, but I'm wondering if PS Elements in conjunction with iPhoto4 might be a better investment. I'd never use HD in iMovie, but the improved file support is a little appealing.

Do they even drop the price of the iLife apps? Will they go down to $49 in 4 or 6 months, for example? Might be worth it then.

Rob

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Historically, I would of gotten it just for the iPhoto upgrade since the current version is painfully slow, and in general, sucks.

But, I'm going to be a dad soon, so I suspect that iMovie and to a lessor extent, iDVD will become more important.

I don't have a musical bone in my body, so Garageband is useless to me. Cool app though.

16. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Exactly, iPhoto is a great organization tool. Sure most "pro" users will use photoshop to edit, but iPhoto is still great for organization. Therefore they get alot of use out of the app!

17. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I'm getting it half price from my HE discount, so I'm getting it. I'd probably have plumped for it full price simply to get iPhoto and Garage Band.

iPhoto 4 was an improvement over iPhoto 2 which was a dreadful mess of an app, but it's just a little lacklustre. It's a good organisation tool, but all but useless for picture editing. The features Jobs demoed on Tuesday look to have added exactly like what iPhoto should have been since day one. It's always been a best of class photo organiser, but has always been severely lacking in terms of actually doing stuff with your photos.

Garage Band's extras look like fun too, and I look forward to playing with it.

18. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I use all the Apps. apart from garageband, so the upgrade is good value for me. I agree with quackattack, now that iPhoto supports RAW and multiple libraries it will be a great organization tool. To be honest the new manipulation tools look so good that I may not need to adjust in photoshop as often.

I am very interested in the new iDVD templates the one the Steve demonstrated looked very cool.

19. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I am getting it, i use iLife a lot and the new stuff are great.

20. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I'll probably order it in the next few days. College students don't forget the edu discount...

21. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Yes. RAW support alone is worth the upgrade or purchase. iMovie HD does things even FCP cannot do yet, like support for HDV and Movie Magic.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

The only reason I'd want it is iphoto. The editing tools and the heirarchical folders are really tempting. But i'm not paying $80 for a minor upgrade to one program...

23. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I'd buy it. It comes with a vastly improved Photo Books feature. RAW and MPEG movie support is pretty cool too.

24. brandon6684 Guest

I would really like iLife '05 but I'm holding out hope that I'll buy a new Mac soon. The part I really need is iPhoto. I'm still stuck at version 2 since I've never bought iLife and thats just the version that came with Panther. I would really like to try out GarageBand, but I don't think my old G3 has the horse power for it, so that's another reason to put it off until I get a new Mac. Now that they've rasied the price the $79, it would be nice if they sold the compenets(except for iTunes) for $19-$29 or so, that way I could get just iPhoto to hold me over until I get a new Mac, because without a DV camera, and a slow computer, iPhoto is the only usable part for me.

25. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i life 05 will come with tiger when it is eventually released...wont it?

if not im going out and ordering ilife today!