iLife 05 Word Processor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by glay, Jan 13, 2005.

1. glay macrumors member

Hi, just wondering if I would be able to type assignments .etc from a blank page rather than a template? And to be able to add stuff (e.g. colour headings, bullets .etc) Would it be similar to Microsoft Word? And also is there way I could add tables or a basic spreadsheet to the page? Thanks! =)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Pages (the word processor) is not part of iLife. It's part of iWork.

2) Probably. No one has been able to play with it but Steve did mention paragraph and text styles in Pages. You can add tables, but they are not spreadsheets (no formulas and the like). Pages will open and save .doc file, but expect a few problems on complex Word documents full of VBA macros and the like.

3. glay thread starter macrumors member

WOOPS!

Woops sorry about that! Shows you how much of a mac newbie I am! :)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No need to apologise! No one wants you to go out and buy iLife and not get what you are expecting! If I were you I'd wait till people have a chance to play with it and can report back on how good it is (and once it's available you might even be able to play with it yourself at an Apple Store).

Note that TextEdit (a bit like Notepad but much better) can open .doc files and in Tiger supports tables. It can do multiple fonts, coloured text and has sort of "auto-styles".

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Yes, definitely.

You can use Pages as a regular word processor if you so wish.

I played around with Pages at MWSF, and it looks fantastic. It's not a Word killer yet, but it has a lot of promise, and is a great 1.0 product from what I can tell.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

How is Pages as a flyer maker? i.e. can you create and drag text boxes as well as the pictures to lay them out on the page? Currently my mom us using Pagemaker to do this and a cheaper OS X alternative would be wonderful.