Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Mar 6, 2006.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet
    THis software has not been tested for bugs at all. There is no way that I can try to burn a DVD in iDVD 06, and 9 out of 10 times it gives me this stupid error:

There was an error during track initialization, and iDVD cant continue burning this DVD, the disc has not been touched yet.

I CANT FINiSH THIS DARn PROJECT WHICH needs to be done by tomorrow, because of apple's neglegence to fix their software.

IS anyone else having extreme problems with this software, or is it just me.

Oh, and I have all the updates...
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Maybe your dvd writer's starting to fail? If you use it a lot this may well be the cause of your problems, I've seen countless optical drives fail after even a year of use.
  3. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Aug 3, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Never had any problems as such. Maybe you should relax and try a different piece of software for it or call up Apple and see what their solutions are. As for testing the product before releasing it: oh, of course. Why would Apple actually test their software/hardware before releasing it? Settle down and start making sense and maybe, just maybe, someone will help you.

Oh, and 3 render hours on a dual 2.5 with 4 gigs of RAM??? Is that very realistic?
  4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    Many people are very pleased with iLife '06. Something you should do is take it down a notch, because yelling irrationally won't get you anywhere. And actually what Apple normally does is first just write random code, hope it does something useful, and then sends it out. Then, when people like you complain, THEN they do their testing of it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Don't be stupid. I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth.
  5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Sounds like either a bad optical drive or a bad batch of Media. Try to burn a DVD using Toast, or some other application. I have mastered at least 15 DVD's using iDVD 06 and have never had an issue. The software is far from buggy, take some deep breaths and look for the solution from another vantage point.

E.B.K.A.C ™

6. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

Feb 13, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I just finished a dvd yesterday in iDVD '06. Like the others are saying, maybe it's an optical drive issue. :( I hope you can figure it out and get your project done by tomorrow. Good luck!

FWIW, I haven't encountered any bugs (that I could tell) in iLife '06...*knocks on wood* :D
  7. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    i've never used iDVD but whenever something fails to burn on my mac, it is because it's a processor overload which causes ciaos OR because my brother buys CRAPTASTIC media.
  8. zathras macrumors member

Nov 6, 2005
    North AL
    I've burned several dvds in iDVD 06 fine - now iWeb is a different story - that locks up on me almost constantly...
  9. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I'm yet another user who has burned numerous (eight or nine?) DVDs using iDVD in the past two weeks.

What you should do is save the rendered image on disk as a disk image (i.e. .img file). This way you a) don't have to re-render if something goes wrong b) you can use some other software to attempt to burn it c) you can transfer it to another Mac and see if it's a hardware problem d) you can run out and get some other writeable DVDs from other manufacturers and try them.

This is most likely a bad DVD or bad batch.
  10. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apr 29, 2005
    You are a fool for making such a claim
  11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Oh yes, how dare he criticize apple's he not familiar with the oath we all signed when we purchased iLife?

"I hereby swear that however messed up this code is, I will do nothing but compliment it's style and design to others..."

I report a VIOLATION of the above affidavit!
  12. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    iLife 06 is working fine for me and I have an older 12"PB with SuperDrive.

You need to give some better data.
    Meda type, where you got the media (hope it wasn't a computer show), stock SuperDrive or other burner, what your burning etc...
    It dosn't read as though iDVD is crashing.
  13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    what do people burn DVDs of, i had my super drive and never used it to burn DVDs, i hope it works :eek: ;)
    I guess i need to start traveling more...
  14. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I believe the criticism was of the claim:
    ... which is ludicrous. He's having problems. I'm sure others do. But the overwhelming majority don't.
  15. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    What he said.

That is how I do it all the time on my machine. Mostly because I don't have a Superdrive and have to transfer it to a different machine to burn, but also very helpful if I plan on making multiple copies.
  16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I've had issues with iDVD (iLife '04) before, but it wasn't my burner or the media; rather, there have been a couple projects I've made that just won't render or something. :confused:

I solved the problerm by starting over from scratch. I guess that's not an option with a huge project but no software is's silly to suggest that they don't test for bugs.
  17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    You'd be amazed what happens when you bring a camcorder to Mardi Gras in N.O. , Spring Break in Mexico, and College Frat parties...:eek: :eek: :eek:
  18. Will_reed macrumors 6502

May 27, 2005
    He's off his rocker iLife 06' ROCKS!! I love iphoto and garageband
  19. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    No, you're right - I just think people have tended to "jump" on him a little for suggesting that it may not have been tested fully - he may be right - Apple have set themselves up for a yearly release with this thing...tricky to fulfil year on year.
  20. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet

So after 94 hours of painstaking waiting for the DVD to render, FAIL, and then gove me an error message, I finally manaaged to burn a few DVDs.

After spending time and money designing and labeling these, I come to realize that the end of every DVD got chopped off. I opened up iMovie, and nothing is wrong with that. I am going to reword my claim by saying "iDVD is the worst software ever" because I really havent had any problems with anything except that.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with the writer or the DVDs, because it says "the disc hasnt been touched yet!"

So I basically just wasted 94 hours of time agonizing waiting for this to do its thing, and then FAILING, and then even more so, ruining my DVDs and making me waste labeling.

Now, you are probably going to say "You should have tested each DVD after you burned it!" However, I tested the first one that came out of the burner, and surprisingly, it worked completely. I therefore assumed that all the others would work similarly as well. It was only until after I labeled everything with my casio disc writer that I found the mistake. And this is the precise reason i switched to mac. I had trouble with this on my PC, and I was told, rather assured that this would not happen on a MAC.

So, in conclusion, 1 DVD was successfully completed out of the 23 times I needed to render the movie. I dont understand why I need to re render the whole video just because I changed one bit of text in the menu for each DVD. Apple's 4.3% success rate just wont cut it for me. If apple continues to write their universal binaries like this, they just wont survive.

Tomorrow, I am calling up apple to "give them a piece of my mind." (and I dont want any wise comments to that)
  21. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    What in god's name are you doing with iLife (training wheels) on your 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5 (Lance Armstrong's bike)?!?!?! :p That's frankly disturbing and out of respect for your PM, you should delete iLife and help your PM get back on with the Tour De France race. :D

22. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet

What do you suppose I use? FCP? I do not currently have the money, nor time needed to learn how to use it, however I really would like to know how. I am going to be taking a week's vacation soon, but I just need to get FCP from somewhere, and I dont have $999.

This was just a quick project that a few of my sisters friends asked me to do for them, and I didnt really want to make a huge deal out of it.

I bought final cut II, if that's worth anything, but it looks ancient, and outdated. If I have time, and someone is willing to provide me with links on training websites, I will definately learn to use that. It looks hard though.
  23. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    Sorry you sound crazy!

You let someone talk you into assuring you that getting a mac would leave you problemless!!? LMAO

dude I got news for ya
    nobody can you promise you that
  24. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet
    Great...that post was very helpful
  25. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004
    Yeah, looks don't matter as much as function (despite what Apple brainwashes people to think). FCP 2 is a fine program and it's a shame it wont run on a G5. I suggest finding someone you know who's a college student and get the FCP Suite for $699 or just take a look on bittorrent (BT). If BT isn't your thing and you can't afford the suite, then look for the first suite edition on eBay. FCP express would suit you just fine as well, but then you wont have DVD Studio Pro to work with. Good luck.:)

So you do or don't want FCP?