iLife 06 single user on two Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sethypoo, Jan 24, 2006.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I own two Macs. I want to install iLife 06 on both. However, I don't want to buy the family pack. Will the single user version be able to be installed on both of my Macs, and future ones for that matter?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

apple's software licenses are "single use" and not "single user"........you're only supposed to have it installed on one computer at time

4. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Short answer: You can in install it in more than one computer, but the would be illegal. The legal way just lets you install it in one computer.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yeah, its a pain and I baulk even now at the cost for a single machine. Eventually I'll have 2 or more used almost exclusively by just me and yet I have to fork out $$$ for each machine. I wish Apple offered a cheaper "upgrade" path if you had the previous version. Or a cheaper bundled pack with each new OS.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Even though I only have 1 computer, so this doesn't really affect me, I think it's ridiculous that you can only use it on one computer. If it's for your own personal use, what does Apple lose by allowing you to install it on more than one of your machines. :confused:

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

US$79 ;)

8. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Unfortunately, it is what it is. Honestly I think the price they charge for a multi-user license is a good deal. If it's illegal don't do it.

9. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I know, but it seems kinda petty considering how much $$$ they make. But I guess that's business. :rolleyes:

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From the SLA:
    I don't see anything precluding you from installing it on one Mac, then mounting that drive on another Mac and using it on that second computer - as long as is not being used on more than one computer at one time.

The strict interpretation of "you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time" would imply that you can't do that - but it also implies that you can never mount a hard drive with any Apple software on it... which is, I'm sure, not the case.

Technically, you need to buy two copies to have it installed on each computer... but, if it is only you, and the SLA does not preclude you from uninstalling on one system and then installing on another one, I see no defensible argument against running it via a mounted drive. if only you use it, and you never use it on more than one system at a time, then using a mounted image seems to be allowable. Or at least it's hard to argue that it's unethical.

11. Lebowski macrumors 6502

I can understand it being a crucial issue when you are talking about pro app suites like final cut studio, where multiple licenses can cost thousands of dollars... but stuff like iLife and Tiger is not marked up an insane amount. I gladly spend the extra cash to upgrade my 4 macs at home, especially for an OS or a suite that that offers alot of bang for the buck like iLife does.

I always laugh when people freak out about apple's pricing. Sure, a new top of the line Mac is pretty pricey, but only a select few users would even benefit from such a machine ( and said users can afford to pay for such a machine). But its all the average users that MUST have the LATEST release from apple (not even REALLY needing it) JUST so they can say they have the latest and greatest. Well thats your issue to deal with. If you are gonna buy a promac just because, then you really should not be complaining about pricing. I still have an old 733 digital audio at home that is not a powerhouse, but gets the job done.

12. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Seems like for the Laptop owners you should be able to install on both the desktop and laptop.

A family pack would seem reasonable for multiple laptops or multiple desktops, but one install good for each type (1 serial good for 1 desktop & 1 laptop) seems fair.

I know it isn't this way, it's just my opinion.

13. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I'll play it safe and get the multi user one. That way, I can give it to my girlfriend, her mom, and my mom, and install it on both of my computers without having Apple legal knocking on my door. :)

Hmm, maybe I can get them to chip in on the cost.....:) :cool:

14. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks to everyone else who has posted a reply to this, I had my question completely answered.

iGary- flesh out your responses! I know that the word single means "one" and thus "single user" means "single computer." Duh!

/RANT!

15. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

no one will know if you install it on multiple machines. don't worry so much.:cool:

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Actually you can't even do that legally with the family pack unless you all live in the same house!

From Apple

The Apple Software is being licensed to you as a bundle. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons sharing the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium. This license does not extend to students who reside at a separate on-campus location or to business or commercial users.

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Personally speaking i don't see Apple coming knocking on your door if you install it on both systems. As long as the other Mac (the one you aren't working on) isn't being actively used by other people (and even if it is) i think you could nearly get away with a warning if it went to the courts. However i don't think apple is going to go to the expense of sending you to court when there are better things in the world to spend their money on.

I don't agree with piracy in all shapes and forms, but i also don't agree with stupid restrictions that go against common sense. Even microsoft has a clause in it's office software allowing both laptop and desktop use on a single user license.

18. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well they make a lot of that money by not having people do this ;)