ilife 06

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by derajfast, Jan 18, 2006.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

has given me NOTHING but problems.....there is not one good thing i can say about it

iphoto 6 completely messed up my library causing me a huge headache
    iwed REQUIRES you to have a webpage if yuo have .mac.......yuo cant not have you....only way to get rid of a site is to publish something over it....thats so dumb

havent used idvd or imovie yet, but i have low expectations for them

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can delete sites in iWeb. you don't have to publish over it.

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh yeah

photocasting gives me errors just randomly for no particular reason, and it only works with safari.....so they lied that itll work on any rss compatible browser

garbage

4. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

no you can delete PAGES

not the site itself

look at the help section of ilife, and search for delete, it syas yuo cannot delete it.....only publish over

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No problems for me, everything is running just fine. iPhoto is quicker and cooler, I might even be tempted to use iMovie now with those animated themes - just have to get me a good quality digital movie camera. GarageBand remains for me a fun little distraction and I left iDVD off the install list as I don't have a DVD burner.

Haven't really checked out iWeb yet.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was able to delete a site. no problems with it. maybe its because it was my second site though.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I deleted a primary site directly from my iDisk. It's not the best solution, but it's a workaround. :)

8. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I was thinking of getting iLife '06 only for iWeb. I don't have a .Mac account. Is that a requirement? I use Dreamweaver now, but it would be nice to have iWeb for simplicity and fun.

If I have to have .Mac then I guess my question is answered.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no .Mac is not required. you can publish to a folder and FTP it to your own hosting site, etc.

10. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

11. Tigger7 macrumors newbie

I've been very happy with iLife 06 so far. iWeb is a bit simple but it works very well. I publish to my own site as I do not have a .Mac account and can't think of a good enough reason to get one.

http://tigerdesigns-online.com

12. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Cool, so the site in your sig was made with iWeb?

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i did www.tmklein.com with iweb as well. although its not finished yet. ill probably get around to updating it today.

14. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I feel like this is a total noob question, but here goes - how can I publish an iWeb site but have the site URL be different than the default assigned by iWeb? As in, I would like to assign my own "whatever.com" to an iWeb page, like it seems the two above posters did. Thanks.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well do you have your own domain and a place to host the site? that is needed first.

16. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I would like to know the same thing as well. I do have my own domain name registered and I have a .Mac account as well.

By the way I've used all of iLife '06, except for iWeb, and it works better than any previous version. I created a movie from some stills taken on a recent holiday.

17. Tigger7 macrumors newbie

LOL, 100% iWeb with an add on from another forum to replace the slideshow with a cleaner look! I am sure we can do more with iWeb, its just a matter of getting more templates (I'd love a blank one myself).

18. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

It's called domain forwarding with masking.

Most registrars give you this service for free.

19. Tigger7 macrumors newbie

Very nice work so far!

20. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Thanks for the replies, but please help me a little further. I googled for some info on registering a domain name so I can accomplish this, and there are a LOT of choices out there. Can someone give me tips, advice, suggestions on how I should go about this or what sites are best (GoDaddy, ipower, domain.com, etc). I have never done it before. Thanks!

21. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Godaddy is great for a cheap webname. I haven't looked at their hosting packages.

Catalog.com is a cheap all around good choice. Get a name and hosting package. I have their cheapest one (like $35 a year). http://hosting.catalog.com/

22. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

"Hosting is a term used to describe the service offered by hosting companies. A hosting company is the company that owns the server computers that your web pages are stored on."
    So if I am going to publish from iWeb, should I need hosting, or just the domain name for forwarding/masking?
    Thanks.

23. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

You have to pay for hosting for someone to store your pictures, files, etc.

If you buy the name the company generally puts up a temporary page like "Coming soon" until you get hosting.

.Mac is hosting, but I didn't find it very reasonable in terms of cost. Heck, most ISP's give you XXX amount of free hosting with your monthly service too. Then you could just redirect your newly purchased name to what ever your hosting link is. Or mask it so that it always shows your purchased name.

24. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Thank you very much. That definitely helps me getting started. Let me get an opinion on this - I am going to publish through iWeb and want to use domain forwarding/masking for a better name. Can I accomplish this just registering a name through iPower, Catalog, GoDaddy, etc, or would I need to pay for hosting as well. Sorry, I am very new to this aspect of the internet.

25. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Anytime you want to actually "put" something on the net you have to have hosting.

Think of it this way. Think in terms of busines. You have a great product to sell. You can have a company name and register it with the State, but if you want to sell stuff you gotta have a store. So hosting is the "store" you need to put whatever iWeb creation you make up out onto the internet.

So if you just buy a name for $7.99 that is all you are doing. Buying the rights to the name. You won't be able to upload your iWeb site until you get hosting to go with the name.

If you buy the name and host it on the same site they will make it all click. If you buy the name from say Godaddy.com and then Catalog.com for hosting you will need to log into Godaddy.com and change the domain server to whatever Catalog.com says to. That way when someone types in your webname it will go to the proper channel.

Once all that is done then somewhere inside iWeb you will setup the FTP settings to upload the files to the "host".