iLife 07 and in store iWork discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solafek, Jan 9, 2007.

1. solafek macrumors newbie

I was all ready to buy my first mac today, a 20" iMac. But since there was no iLife update, im worried they might still pull that out this week. Im thinking i may just want to run to an apple store later this week, but will i get the discount on iWork and Final Cut Express if i dont buy online?

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I know the educational discounts on iWork and iLife are online only. Other that those two, I'm not sure.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

For some reason you only get Hardware edu discounts in the store. Software is online only.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

is there an expiration date on your promotion code?

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think it's something to do w/ helping to prevent abuse of discounted software. As in, it's harder for people to abuse educational discounts on software since Apple has an easier time of keeping track of it through the online store (vs. a student ID in person).

I'm not 100% sure though. Just what I've heard in passing.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a feeling iLife 07 has some Leopard stuff in it and will be launched along side Leopard i.e. a few months away.

7. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I have a feeling that you are right, it is just a question of when Leopard is released now.

8. solafek thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks for the help, but i just went ahead and bought it online anyway, sure hope there's no iLife 07 anytime soon

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have a feeling you're right. Sometime in Spring. Hopefully late March. Maybe we'll get lucky and iLife will be included with Leopard or iWork, or there will be a cheaper bundle or something. But I doubt it.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I actually think the bundle is pretty likely...as much as I love iWork, I'm sure it's not exactly flying off the shelves as fast as iLife or the OS versions. Let's say Leopard sticks at $129, with at $79 and iWork at $79....I can see a bundle for $229 for all three just to help get iWork on more computers.

11. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

This is good logic. I was disappointed that there was no iLife updates with the keynote, but now I am excited about them again...:)

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you're talking about education discount, it might be better to buy it from the student store at your college/university. apple lists iwork at $49 online, but it's $10 cheaper at my student store. i'm not sure about your school, but it wouldn't hurt to find out.