Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today Apple introduced iLife '08.

iPhoto
-Events is a new way to automatically organize ever-expanding iPhoto libraries into events.
-Automatically hide/show photos based on star rating
-New Books and Calendars
-.Mac Web Gallery: Enhanced, web 2.0 photo galleries compatible with any browser. "Contribute from anywhere"... Allows you (or anyone) to add to web gallery from the internet or from the iPhone.

Updating as more information becomes available...

Article Link

koops

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
London
For those of us that have just purchased new MBPs, is it just hard luck? will we get a discount or free upgrade to ilife 08'?

I don't know why aple didnot delay the MBPs to coincide with the new iLife suite? apart from making more money this way of course!

Edmar

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
Chicago IL
Beatiful

I always thought that the iMac was the best looking desktop outthere but Apple managed to make even better looking. A lot of you complain about the chin but I've always liked it, I dare anyone to find a better looking desktop outthere. Price is not too bad but I wish it had 2GB RAM standard.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I really like the ability to email photos to a pooled iPhoto set.

I like the promise of getting my many video clips under control. You know what feature I would like to see across the board is captioning for photos and videos so notes can be attached to specific images and clips. Is that a feature already?

Rocketman

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
For those of us that have just purchased new MBPs, is it just hard luck? will we get a discount or free upgrade to ilife 08'?

I don't know why aple didnot delay the MBPs to coincide with the new iLife suite? apart from making more money this way of course!

you only get upgrades to new software if you purchased it after the announcement and before they shipped.

so, no, you won't.

how long is this announcement? 1:30? 2hrs?

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
you only get upgrades to new software if you purchased it after the announcement and before they shipped.

I'd assume this would include me seeing as I purchased mine yesterday and it doesnt ship till at the earliest the 14th...right???

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'd assume this would include me seeing as I purchased mine yesterday and it doesnt ship till at the earliest the 14th...right???

you won't get it because you purchased it yesterday. unless you cancel the order and reorder it tomorrow or something.

mrmjd

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Okay, I have a question. I have a Hard Drive video camera that spits out video in .MOD format, which requires an annoying converting process for iMovie to read it. If iMovie can now take video from any source, I assume this means iMavies inability to read .MOD is no more, right?

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
WOOHOO! AVCHD SUPPORT ON THE MAC AT LAST! I'm getting myself a new camcorder next month in the states :D.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What? So that's new iMacs, updated .Mac service, new keyboard, iLife 08 out today... and we're only half way through :eek:

new iPods confirmed. unless they flip the event around and stick all the graphs and showings off till the end instead....

BlancheDubois

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
My Macbook is on its way here, I was told Apple has a two week window for people who order around an update. Call Apple and explain your situation, I'm sure they will send you a copy.

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
is this the new app?

just got off of apples website on the dotmac page..

Attachments

• numbers?.jpg
    numbers?.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 6,566

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
you won't get it because you purchased it yesterday. unless you cancel the order and reorder it tomorrow or something.

Are you sure there's no grace period? Just making sure.

I think, for instance, that in the past, buyers of OS X can get the next version for free if they bought it for a certain length of time (20 days?) PRIOR to the new version shipping.

I may be remembering wrong--and this is a different situation I realize.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
10 GB of storage now. That'll shut everybody up for three to five years. :)

From what I read on Engadget it sounded like everybody has 1 GB of storage and they are offering 10 GB... I wasn't clear if it was "offering for x amount more a year" or if it was the default. Not saying yer wrong of course but that's all I've seen on it.

achbed

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Updates already?

Just noticed on the new .Mac welcome page..

Next, update your version of iPhoto '08 to 7.0.1 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu...

??? That was fast...

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
I think this is funny (from Engadget):

"Next up: iMovie. This is really interesting. Let me tell you the story. One of our video engineers went to the Cayman Islands, shot a lot of underwater HD, wanted to make a video for his buddies in half an hour. We found out couldn't do it. Engineer got out Final Cut Pro. Couldn't do it. Couldn't do great movie in 30 minutes. So he created an app that could do it. We were so blown away that we decided to use it. We're still calling it iMovie, but we're giving a new icon so we can show it's a whole new app. One library for all your video."

So one guy obsoleted their iMovie application, that they've been working on quite a lot?

Caster

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Thank G-d I waited to purchase my MBP. Just wondering, if I go to the store today would to purchase one would it come preloaded with iLife '08? or would I have to order it from the website to receive iLife '08? Thanks :D

Palliser

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
USA

I'm going to second this question as I'm new to Mac and placed my order Saturday. It has yet to ship. I just called Apple and the rep told me that they don't have any info on newly released items. He was surprised that anything was being released today and asked me "where did you hear about these new products?". So much for internal memos.

So if my product has not shipped yet should I cancel and re-order this afternoon?

BenHoleton

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
My business bought 3 new macs July 14. I wonder if/hope that I get a free copy. They can just give me a family pack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.