Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I really like the ability to email photos to a pooled iPhoto set.

I like the promise of getting my many video clips under control. You know what feature I would like to see across the board is captioning for photos and videos so notes can be attached to specific images and clips. Is that a feature already?

Rocketman

They call it "comment" not "caption". The difference is that caption gets printed under while comment is inside the photo. Comments have always been there and you can search on them are use them are criteria in smart albums.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
anyone else concerned by apples complete lack of updates of idvd and dvd studio pro a few months ago? I have to wonder if its a) theyre on their way out for something much better or b) they are abandoning disc based media creation and pushing youtube, .mac galleries etc.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, it kinda sucks. You still have to have .Mac to use that feature, so not that much use. All they do is make a DNS alias. I have one.com as my webhotel and they already have webalias via DNS, so that my .Mac site shows on my own domain, without me having to buy for .Mac
The only part I don't get is your last sentence. So your .Mac shows up under your own domain name, but you don't pay for .Mac. Huh?

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
New information about Personal Domain settings on .Mac (from Apple's "tips" RSS feed):

Setting up .Mac to use a personal domain name

If you're using iWeb '08, you can set up your .Mac account to use a personal domain name so that the URL to your iWeb websites is easy to remember and named by you.

Note: Your personal domain URL is used for iWeb '08 websites that you publish to your .Mac account. Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites.
To set up .Mac to use a personal domain name:

1. If you haven't already registered a domain name, visit an accredited domain name registrar on the Internet and register the personal domain name you want to use.

For information about registering a domain name, search the Internet for "domain name registrars."
2. If you're not already logged in to .Mac, go to http://www.mac.com, and log in.
3. Click Account in the left column on the .Mac homepage, and confirm your login.
4. On the Account Settings page, click the Personal Domain button, and then follow the instructions that appear.

When asked to enter your domain name, be sure to type the entire domain name (including the extension, such as .com, .net) that you've registered.
5. When you see a screen confirming that .Mac is configured to host your domain, go to your domain name registrar's web hosting area, and point your domain (by adding or changing a "cname record") to "web.mac.com."

For instructions on changing the cname register, contact your domain name registrar.

You may need to wait up to 48 hours for your domain name to take effect and for the link to your iWeb '08 websites to work. After 48 hours, you'll be able to visit your iWeb '08 websites at the new personal domain URL.

sakca015

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
...so when Leopard comes out...will that include iLife '08 within it, or will you have to do a separate upgrade?

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
The only part I don't get is your last sentence. So your .Mac shows up under your own domain name, but you don't pay for .Mac. Huh?

He he, what I ment was that you could already forward you .Mac site to you own domain via DNS. But yes, you do have to own .Mac :)

What I don't understand is this:
"Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites." What do they mean by that?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
He he, what I ment was that you could already forward you .Mac site to you own domain via DNS. But yes, you do have to own .Mac :)

What I don't understand is this:
"Your personal domain URL is not used for your .Mac Web Gallery or HomePage websites." What do they mean by that?
It's just an alias for a .Mac account.

ScottDrummer

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Canada
will leopard have iLife 08 built in, the same way tiger has ilife07 built in?
also whats the difference in the family pack and single licence, i mean are there any limitations to buying the single licence and installing it on more than one mac?

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
I can't seem to find anything about iWebs ability to upload one site at a time, instead of as now where you have to build all your sites even though you hav eonly made changes to one of them.

JGF0x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2007
...so when Leopard comes out...will that include iLife '08 within it, or will you have to do a separate upgrade?

iLife '08 just like iWork '08 are separate from Leopard. You can only get it together if you buy a new computer.

Does anyone know if you can install the same single license iLife on two Macs? I'm not being cheap but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $20 just to update my mom's iBook and my MacBook Pro with the newest iLife.

backsidetailsli

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2006
Toronto!
will leopard have iLife 08 built in, the same way tiger has ilife07 built in?
also whats the difference in the family pack and single licence, i mean are there any limitations to buying the single licence and installing it on more than one mac?

yeah, like if i buy a MBP soon.. could i use the install disks to update my older imac?

JGF0x

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2007
By the way I sent someone to the Apple Store to get iLife '08 for me today and they didn't have it. The guy said they *might* have it in boxes but that they aren't allowed to open them yet. So much for it being "available today". :(

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Today Apple introduced iLife '08.

-.Mac Web Gallery: Enhanced, web 2.0 photo galleries compatible with any browser. "Contribute from anywhere"... Allows you (or anyone) to add to web gallery from the internet or from the iPhone.
Cool. I don't remember seeing this button on my iPhone over the last few days. I did update to iPhone 1.0.1 the other day, but I wonder if they had this hidden, and the "Send to Web Gallery" button got turned on just today (in the "Photos" app on the phone)? I don't yet have iLife '08 and no other iPhone udpates have come in since 1.0.1 was released.

So maybe there are more cool easter eggs hidden on the iPhone, waiting to be turned on? (Surely if the "Send to Web Gallery" button had been enabled a few days ago, it would have been noticed?)

Full live Photoblogging directly from the iPhone. Seems pretty simple and useful, even with only a 2mp camera.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
By the way I sent someone to the Apple Store to get iLife '08 for me today and they didn't have it. The guy said they *might* have it in boxes but that they aren't allowed to open them yet. So much for it being "available today". :(

How do you "send someone to the Apple store?"

bmoseley07

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I totally called it!! I knew they wouldn't make iLife or iWork too reliant on Leopard.

It wouldn't make any sense if they did, becuase they'd be losing a lot sales from people who won't upgrade to Leopard.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Meaning what? Will I not be able to acces my webgallery on my own alias domain?

If you use www. Kaptajn Haddock.com as your domain name and use it with you .Mac service, it'll point people to your .Mac account, but will show up as www Kaptajn Haddock.com.

Think of it as a shortcut icon to an application. A domain alias is just a name that points to an address as http://17.112.152.32 which is http://www.apple.com

Apple could have several aliases or names pointing to 17.112.152.32.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
Aperture and new books

It doesn't seem like you can order the new books introduced with iPhoto 08, that kinda su.ks! The 1.5.4 update does not add the new books which look way cool. This is really sad :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.