Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
LAMP or Dreamweaver? What? You do realise that, if anything, Dreamweaver is a relatively useful tool for developing sites built on a LAMP system? You know that LAMP stands for Linux Apache MySQL and PERL or PHP? And therefore you can't use LAMP instead of Dreamweaver? Ok, just making sure ;)

Depends what and who I'm developing for. A simple site that's small and doesn't have a lot of updates and can be static, I'll use DreamWeaver.

For a site with lots of updates I'll use a dynamic website built on LAMP.

I personally don't use DreamWeaver with PHP sites for local testing. I prefer to build the templates for a dynamic site in a text editor and just view it in a browser.

msharpmu

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
If I ordered a refurb MBP SR tomorrow, let's say, would it come with iLife '08, or '07 (because that's what the refurbed MBP originally shipped with when it was new)?:confused:

You would probably receive '07 but you can get the upgrade for $9.99 since you bought a mac after Aug. 7th.

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
I understand feeling the pain, but really, noone is ripping you off. While you may feel entitled, you're getting exactly what you paid for when you clicked 'submit'. True, they might be giving you confusing signals, but in the end they gave you $50, which is probably more than many other people are getting.

What I don't get is how there are so many people who are members here, who must've known about this event, and all the rumours pointed to an iLife/iwork update, yet people still buy these products just before, and then complain about the new ones.

If people are going to get so uptight about it, why don't they just wait until an announced event is over? Or just wait for a product update and buy then, if they're going to be so frustrated by it? Yes, I know people can wait and wait, and things just don't happen - but that's the trade off if you don't want to be frustrated by updates. Would if help people if they just held the software until next week? The week after? Next month? (Of course then, you'd just have other people complaining who bought it then). You can argue for a grace period, but then people who bought it a day before the grace period would complain.

Great points. This particular trend gets old real quick.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
If I ordered a refurb MBP SR tomorrow, let's say, would it come with iLife '08, or '07 (because that's what the refurbed MBP originally shipped with when it was new)?:confused:
I would say check http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/list.html . I'm guessing the refurb is a sealed box already in the supply chain, so you'd be getting iLife '06 on the hard drive or in the box, and qualify for the 9.95 upgrade from the website. But only Apple knows for sure.

The refurb MBP's that I see on the Apple Store state "iLife '06", so again I think you'd be looking at 9.95 up-to-date for iLife 08.

macwoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
family pack

Does anyone know if I need a family pack for a single computer / multi user setup? Yes, I want to have each account have its own sync area / publish area.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Great points. This particular trend gets old real quick.
Seems to be a thing that most Apple newbies learn the hard way the first time around, then you find them here spouting that exact "wait and see" advice in about six months once they've learned how the game is played on this side of the fence.

(and despite the "newbie" title in my profile at left, I've had Macs for a very very long time, and mostly just lurked here for years, among many other mac related forums)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I saw the slide Magic Garageband and thought it was alluding to a feature such as the one offered by the MyDreamApp idea Whistler? Instead its a soundboard. Man talk about a disappointment (and a missed opportunity)

BlancheDubois

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
This 'newbie' couldn't wait much longer for a computer- I really need it for school purposes. I was told by countless Mac veterans that there IS a grace period for people who purchased just before the upgrade, even one of Apple's representatives misinformed me on this. Even if I had waited, a software update wasn't guaranteed. Many believed it would come with Leopard.

It is possible that my MacBook will arrive with the new software, as it has been held over in Shanghai for longer than usual. I'm not expecting it, but one can hope.

I'm no fool, I've bought cautiously when it comes to other products; this one couldn't wait. At least my waiting for the Airport Extreme Base Station paid off.

TheSilentKellar

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Imovie support

Does anyone know if the new iMovie will support .MOD file support? I have a JVC everio camera and I hate having to use third party software to be able to get it to work with iMovie. I know iMovie supports mpeg-2 and .MOD is a form of that but I don't know if it will be supported our not.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
I'm wondering the same thing.
Please look previously on this thread, I posted some of the information from the .Mac website that answered this. Your pages are hosted at .Mac, you have to add a "CNAME" record to your domain at your current registrar, to forward the domain to Apple, so you won't be using your current host (at least for the www. subdomain).

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Dude, chill out...

EDIT : Oops my bad. No iMovie you're right.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that us G4 owners can't upgrade to the new iMovie.

BTW, your sig needs correcting... it was F. Scott Fitzgerald who wrote the Great Gatsby. :)

Alistair1990

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
Norbiton, Greater London, UK
Available in Uk tomorrow?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but will the new products, specifically iLife and the new keyboard, be available in the UK Apple Stores from tomorrow? Was planning on going to the Meadowhall store.

Alistair.

duskdawn

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
Well I ordered a MBP on 7/30 and it is estimated to be shipped 8/8-13. Yes that's tomorrow to say the earliest. If apple install software prior shipment I think it is likely mine will be coming with iLife08. But who knows, I don't consider myself a lucky person :D. If not, I will just play with old ones for a while and see.
And also I think if your order is a customized model it will usually get the latest updates. If it is a pre-made model who knows if it is from the stock or not.

Alistair1990

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
Norbiton, Greater London, UK
I was hoping that the stores would have stock straight away, as the website says shipping of 3-5 days. I'll give them a call in the morning, its a 2 hour trip each way so will check first. Fingers crossed :apple:

Alistair

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
So is much of this new stuff in iLife 08 (especially iWeb) useless unless you spend even more Money on .Mac?

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Are you serious? iMovie '08 seriously does not support G4 processors? That's crazy! I'm not believing this until I see some proof.

iMovie is my primary application for video editing. I really hope this isn't true...

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
Do you think they would give me iLife 08 for free since I just bought my Macbook a week ago?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
So is much of this new stuff in iLife 08 (especially iWeb) useless unless you spend even more Money on .Mac?
Well for $8.25 a month you get 10 GB of space that works with an extremely well crafted web application and the ability to share video's and pictures in a truly simple manner. So I think it's a good deal in most respects.

BlancheDubois

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Well I ordered a MBP on 7/30 and it is estimated to be shipped 8/8-13. Yes that's tomorrow to say the earliest. If apple install software prior shipment I think it is likely mine will be coming with iLife08. But who knows, I don't consider myself a lucky person :D. If not, I will just play with old ones for a while and see.
And also I think if your order is a customized model it will usually get the latest updates. If it is a pre-made model who knows if it is from the stock or not.

Hmmm...so maybe I do have a chance, since mine was customized:rolleyes:

I think you will have it, if not you can get the 10 dollar upgrade.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Seems to be a thing that most Apple newbies learn the hard way the first time around, then you find them here spouting that exact "wait and see" advice in about six months once they've learned how the game is played on this side of the fence.

(and despite the "newbie" title in my profile at left, I've had Macs for a very very long time, and mostly just lurked here for years, among many other mac related forums)

I'm no Mac newbie, I know how to "play the game" and I feel pretty ripped off b/c I just bought this MacBook 4 days ago. I realize I'm not "entitled" to anything, but a little off the $80 would be welcome.

Now when Leopard rolls around am I going to cry about not having a free upgrade certificate? No, because I know how to play the game. I know there is an update coming, and have started saving for that $130 purchase. I feel Apple should extend a grace period for recent Mac buyers since this update was "sprung" on us (unlike OS releases, etc). Had I known about this software update, I would have waited 4 days...it's not like free double the RAM of previous generation machines, etc.

If the same thing happened to the most seasoned Mac user, he/she would be upset. Just saying. It sucks when it actually happens to you, trust me.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Well for $8.25 a month you get 10 GB of space that works with an extremely well crafted web application and the ability to share video's and pictures in a truly simple manner. So I think it's a good deal in most respects.

So are you saying Yes then? But there are lots of sites you can get free web space... your ISP for instance.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

If your MBP ships in 2 days you will have iLife08' on it.If not just call apple support and they will ship it out to you for free.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I'm no Mac newbie, I know how to "play the game" and I feel pretty ripped off b/c I just bought this MacBook 4 days ago. I realize I'm not "entitled" to anything, but a little off the $80 would be welcome.

Now when Leopard rolls around am I going to cry about not having a free upgrade certificate? No, because I know how to play the game. iLife 08 is a meager update (not an OS update). I feel Apple should extend a grace period for recent Mac buyers since this update was "sprung" on us (unlike OS releases, etc).

If the same thing happened to the most seasoned Mac user, he/she would be upset. Just saying. It sucks when it actually happens to you, trust me.

You can still get the $9.95 upgrade via the online upgrade if you purchased within two weeks. Directions below:

1) Access the online upgrade form and fill in the information (Model, serial numbers, etc.)

2) When asked to put in purchase date, choose August 7.

3) Confirm and add to cart. Then check out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.