Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odraude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Near You
hey guys i have a late 2011 mbp, and it came with lion and ilife preinstalled, i downloaded ml, since the day it came out, iphoto and imovie are up to date but garageband has a cost, is this normal??
i have to pay for the garageband, while my other apps are the `11 version???

what should i do guys??

thanx in advance

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
iLife major updates are not free.

If you've had iLife 11 prior to upgrading, I believe that is what you are saying, you shouldn't have to pay for it again. My App Store automatically recognized that I have them installed.

odraude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Near You
i had ilife 11 the day i bought my computer, iphoto and imovie are up to date but garageband keeps me sayin that i have 2 pay

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
There's something wrong. I bought a Late 2011 Macbook Pro that came with iLife 2011, and when I logged into iCloud with it (under OS X 10.7) it automatically registered iPhoto, iMovie (which I had purchased previously), and Garage Band to my account. I swapped the hard drive out and was able to re-download all of those apps for free from my iTunes account.

There's one thing that I can think of. Did you wipe the iLife applications and then wipe the hard drive without logging into iCloud (or your iTunes store account) first? If so, the applications wouldn't have registered to your account. You mentioned that the other two are available for download for free, but did you purchase those previously? It seems strange that only one application of the three wouldn't register to your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.