iLife 5, can I get the familypack without owning a normal iLife05 license?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cluthz, Jan 18, 2005.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

iLife singleuser license is more expensive than the familypack?
    Why? Do I have to get a single license first and then buy a familypack.
    Here is a pic from the norwegian applestore:
    (familiepakke=familypack)
    [​IMG]

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There's something weird there. On the UK store the family pack is more than the single (family = £65, single = £49).

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

That's got to be an error ...

Here in the states the single license is $79, and the Family Pack is $99. The Educational version is $59 for a single license, and there is no Family Pack. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Marc

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Buy the family pack at the reduced price before they realize their error!

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just searched the Norway store and got a price of 899, so it looks like they've already fixed it.

Sometimes pricing errors like that are caught on the Apple store when you press the "view cart" button.

6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

The MSU computer store is listing it at $39. This would make sense because '04 was $25 or roughly a 50% discount. Maybe I should pre-order while their website lists this price if in fact it should be $59.

7. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

I was on the EDU store and its still there, checking out now with iLife05 for NOK530 including VAT, and delivery...

8. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hey Inspector Lee,

The $59 EDU price is from Apple. Schools might discount it even more. If you can get it for $39 I'd grab it; that's a very good price for what looks to be an outstanding upgrade. BTW, are you a Jackie Chan fan? Just curious ...

Regards,
    Marc

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hey, my wifes an MSU student, but I've never been into their computer store (I avoid campus like the plague :p ). I'm getting ready to buy an iMac, how are their prices compared to the online edu pricing?

Thanks,
    Rob

10. jersey10 macrumors regular

What does this mean the single user versus family pack? I own two Macs and would like to buy iLife '05 and install it on both of my computers. Do I have to buy the family pack in order to do this? Won't the regular, $79 iLife package enable me to do this?

Let me know as I am confused. Thanks.

11. rnizlek macrumors 6502

In theory, yes, you can install one piece of software on multiple computers, but its not legal. Legally, you need one software licensce for each computer, in other words, you are supposed to buy one copy of iLife '05 for each computer in your home. The family pack allows you legally buy a licensce covering all your computers, without having to buy many copies of iLife.

12. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

The Family Pack will allow you to install iLife 05 on up to 5 computers in your household. The single user license allows you to install it on only one computer. It's a good deal if you've got multiple Macs in the house.

Regards,
    Marc