iLife and iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flahiker, Dec 15, 2004.

1. flahiker macrumors member

I am new to the Mac world and have been playing with the iLife Apps. I found iPhoto and iTunes annoying cause they made copies of my music and my photos. I wanted them to use the existing ones. :(

iCal is the first one I really like. I have used other calendar apps and really like this one. I would like to know if there is a cross platform way to view (not necessarily edit) the calendar. I have lots of friends on PCs and have to use one at work. It would be great if I can publish one so others can view it.

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

If you use .Mac its really easy. You just select which calendar to publish and it walks you through the rest. Then people can view your calendar on your .Mac website.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

iTunes and iPhoto can take a little getting used to but they're great apps once you yield to their way of working!

As for iCal, you can publish your calendars easily if you have a .mac account or a web server with WebDAV enabled. There are some limitations, I think you can only display one calendar at a time.

Luckily there are plenty of other calendar hosting options if you haven't got a .mac account. Check out sites like iCalShare, iCalExchange(free) or iCalWorld. They also offer a lot of calendars you can subscribe too.

4. flahiker thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks! It looks like there are several apps that will convert a cal to html so I can publish it to any web site. That is great, cause I will be developing a cub scout web site.

Now, is there a book or online resource to help learn the other iApps?

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The Missing Manual series by David Pogue come highly recommended. But you'll be amazed at how much you pick up just by playing round with the iApps and you always have the board for any specific questions or problems that arise! :)

Edit: how come MR hasn't got round to joining up as an Amazon or iTMS affiliate? It would be a pretty easy way to donate towards the site and wouldn't be much hassle to set up surely?

6. Logik macrumors 6502a