ilife/garageband????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Laure, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Laure macrumors member

I have never used either of these apps. I just taped a great show which I've loaded onto my computer...would either of these help me tweak the bass an get rid of some background noise?

2. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Garageband is the world's most user friendly recording studio in a program and is included in Apple's iLife suite, which is collection of programs designed to interoperate with each other.

If whatever it is that you loaded on your computer is a sound file (i.e., mp3, wave, aiff, etc.), Garageband is overkill for what you are trying to accomplish. Audacity is a free program that should take care of what you want to do. I haven't used it personally, but some folks swear by it. Sound Studio is another alternative which I do use and like, but it's not free. However they have a few free programs that are designed as utilities for Sound Studio, but they work just fine on their own without having to buy and install Sound Studio. Their Clean and Convert and Mastering Studio programs will likely get your job done

3. Wince99 macrumors newbie

Wince99

for basic stuff, you better stick with iMovie, which has enough effects for what you plan to do:
    -equalizer,
    -hi/low/band-pass
    -reverb
    -delay
    -noise reducer

you should know however that no effect can repair crappy sound (garbage in, garbage out). That's why people hire sound engineers and use expensive equipent :cool:

...so the effects should be used with caution, or else you will end up with distorted sound.