iLife Grace Period

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Black&Tan, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I can't seem to find the answer to this within the forums...what is Apple's policy regarding free upgrades (provided iLife 07 is released at MWSF) to software such as iLife, if I were to purchase a copy this weekend? Is there a specific timeframe for eligible purchases?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

There is no grace period. They will likely offer a $20 (shipping) for those who purchased in the previous 30 days.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

That's certainly a reasonable policy. Thanks! I was having a hard time justifying the purchase when the '07 will most likely be released within a few weeks!

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Yeah, but why not just wait a few weeks anyway for it to come? It always does :p

5. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

My son got a new camera for Christmas, and iPhoto 2 doesn't appear to have an option to restrict photos within Slideshow to 640 x 480 pixels. iPhoto 2 also feels very unrefined to work within. Also, if I purchase before the end of the year, I can claim it as a business expense.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Can you please post a link to the page on Apple's site where this is outlined?

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought the 'Up to Date' program was only for those who bought between it being announced and being shipped? :confused:

8. turtlebud macrumors 6502

i think spider is right. last year, i got my sister a mac mini for christmas, assuming that I could upgrade her to ilife06 for $20, but the policy was the up to date program was only for those that purchased after ilife06 was announced at macworld and it was only $10 for shipping.

9. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Looks like I may need to call my friendly neighborhood Apple store for the final answer. I'll post my results here for future reference.

10. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

This is surprising. According to the sales rep on the phone, I could return unopened software, but if I opened it, I'd have 14 days and I'd only get the same version.

That doesn't make sense, especially when you compare it to Adobe's policy. Oh well....it looks like I'll have to wait it out.

11. LastLine macrumors 65816

or try and pick up a copy of iLife 04/5 on ebay cheapish.

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Adobe is a software Adobe is a software vendor, Apple deals in everything. Personally, I don't think a company should have to give you new software just because you purchased a slightly out-dated version a month ago. Unless of course it's an operating system.