ilife in powerbooks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by aethier, Feb 2, 2004.

1. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

hi, i just got a new 17 inch powerbook, (ordered from apple's website) and it does not seem to be equiped with ilife '04. (garageband is what i want it for) does anyone know if it does have it, or was Jobs just kidding when he said that ilife '04 shipped with all new macs..

aethier

2. biscool macrumors member

Use the up to date program, free but $20 S/H. All new macs do ship with ilife, but the pb you got must of already have been in someone's inventory....

3. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

it shipped fresh BTO from taiwan

aethier (granted i have yet to turn it on, but there is no ilife cd, and their are no documents for ilife)

aethier

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

no dont pay the $20.
    Call Apple, tell them what happened and ask for a free copy.

If you *just* got it, then definately you should be able to get iLife for free.
    Most Macs, if not all are shipping with iLife preinstalled.
    Apple's Up-To-Date program is for computers that were purchased before iLife became available, and under Apple's policy you should have gotten a copy.

5. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

Ok thanks, yeah, it arrived today, i have not turned it on yet because it is for my dads new partner, and it only shipped to my house, so that i could set it up for him, but my dad will be home in about 20 minutes, so maybe they just don't ship the cd ffor it or something.

aehtier

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

really? iirc they ship it with the computers.

Well, good luck.
    btw, I have that shirt thats in your sig. wore it to school one day, all the PC people made fun of me, the teachers loved it and all the windows computers had a problem that day. It was cool :)

7. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

lol, yeah i got pretty much all of them aside from that one for christmas, i wear them to gym class, and people don't seem to mind, they just have a little mac bash session, then they get over it

aethier

8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's probably there

Apple doesn't usually give you the CD. There is a DVD labled "Software Restore CD." It has your OS and other pre-installed programs on it.

9. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

Grrr, to my dissapointment, there is no ilife '04, just old school idvd 3, etc. and in teh software update there is nothing.

aethier

10. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

hmm, didn't steve jobs say at the keynote, that it is comming with all new macs, because the guy at apple support (who was "ahh ahh umm.. ahh") seems to think that it only comes bundeld like next month or something

aethier

11. aethier thread starter macrumors 6502a

aethier

Fu*** is Apple's server in uber poor mode, or are xserves just horrible, I can't watch thee keynote (to prove the moron on the phone) because it always freezes, i know this may be because everyone is downloading safari and the java thing, but people downloading two 20 meg files, which probably aren't even on the same server, should not be slowing everything else down

aethier

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not quite right for iLife... up-to-date is usually for computers that were purchased before the software becomes available, you are correct there... however, in this case, jobs announced iLife and that new macs (purchased from that day on) would have iLife on the same day - the keynote date. so there are no computers that are eligible for up-to-date that was sold before the iLife introduction.

in this case, up-to-date is precisely for people like the original poster - ordered the computer after the keynote but the inventory or what have you couldn't get the iLife to ship with it.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

oops, my bad. thanks for correcting it :)