iLife-Jr., would'nt it be nice...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srobert, Mar 19, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I was just thinking that it would be nice from Apple to develop a kid version of iLife.

Think about it, It's like iLife but very simplified with big colorfull cartoonish icons and buttons. It could also be educative and teach kids about music.

Apple is updating it's OS and software suits to please a wider customer base (Governments, visually impaired, education, multimedia, scientific, etc..). The iLife suite has always been a good selling point. I tought that an iLife-Jr. could be a nice addition to the Apple experience and one more reason to choose a Mac.

Just a thought.

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Are you Kidding?

iLife is actually a kid version of other programs, iTunes grew up but I can't get the idea of a kid version, just player? :( ... iMovie is the kid of FCPE, iPhoto grew up as well but just a viewer? :( .. iDVD is kid of DVD Studio and Garage Band just came to the world... :)

Free Downloadable Version? ... Better a 15 days DEMO for windows users, this way they would like to switch...

Just a thought...

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What age kid are you talking about? My kids (10 and 12) already use all the iApps, and have been doing so for two years. I don't see what use a 5 or 6 year old would have for anything except maybe Garageband--the others are basically for cataloging and organizing stuff that kindergarteners wouldn't be interested in. A simpler version of Garageband would be pretty neat, though!

If you're looking for a great kid-art program, I highly recommend Kidpix (don't know if there's a Pantherized version) for younger kids.

4. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I was thinking pre-schoolers

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Hmmm...

So what would a pre-schooler do with iPhoto, or iMovie, or iDVD? It just seems like these apps couldn't be simplified enough for someone who can't even read yet. I know most preschoolers have difficulty even clicking and dragging, so iMovie would be pretty tough.

Maybe a kiddie iTunes would be neat, so kids could pick the music they wanted to listen to, with pictures instead of track names. However, usually when a kid is using the computer, they're playing some sort of game that comes with its own soundtrack.

6. slowtreme macrumors 6502

My 4 y/o seems to have no problem navigating the Web, changing sites (using bookmarks), finding and playing videos, playing FLASH games including coloring photos, and more. iMovie might be tough.

Frankly I'm going to have to buy another iBook (so I can have one back). I have a WinXP PC for my two kids, 2 and 4 years old that runs in a kiosk mode just for web surfing. But they always seem to be on the iBook. My 4y/o uses Safari, iTunes, and iPhoto with ease. I ask why he doesn't use the "big computer", and he tells me "But I just like the apple daddy." How can you argue with that?

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it would be nice if iApps could be put into "kid safe" mode.

so iApps won't erase or permanently alter anything until someone turns off the "kid safe" mode.

while in this mode, kids can play back whatever movies they want, cut and paste whatever pictures they got, etc.