iLife makes people smile!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Jul 27, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA

Just wanted to share a happy Mac story. I'm "responsible" for 2 families of partial switchers (they still have PCs in the house for the kids). The second family lives a few blocks away from me, on the route that I take my kids out for walks. Over the past 2 weeks I've been helping them create an iMovie with photos and favorite songs from years and years of family gatherings. On my last walk we created an iDVD project, added a menu and successfully burned the movie to a disk.

They were so happy and just in awe of what they could do on their new computer. This past weekend was the annual gathering and my friend surprised everyone by putting the DVD in and pressing play. She said that everyone starting hugging and laughing and they just couldn't believe that she created this and had copies for them all.

She mentioned that a few people said they now wanted iMacs.

This is simple stuff for us, that we take for granted, but for regular people it is still fun and powerful.

It's nice to see these gadgets and toys become really useful and make people happy.

ok, now back to our regular scheduled program: Where's the G5 PowerBook? ;)
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    That is great to hear.

It is funny to see looks on peoples face from a simple 30 minute imovie/idvd project.

The simplicity, integration, and stability of all the iLife apps is amazing. Its something that just doesn't exist on a PC.
  3. slughead macrumors 68030

Apr 28, 2004
    iMovie crashes on my machine if I try to multi-task with it, but I've not used other video software so perhaps this is normal...

On a positive note, I showed my dad how to export his iPhoto library to his .mac account (first time I'd ever done it). I demonstrated it for him and he was convinced that I had skipped like 20 steps.

iPhoto is amazing, I can't believe they crammed web compression, thumbnail making, HTML writing, and an automated (FTP??) client into the same app you use to import, organize, burn, present, and manipulate photos.
  4. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Wow, now I feel kinda bad for never even touching the iApps outside of iTunes. lol.