iLife Updates (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, New App)

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jan 6, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple announced significant improvements in their suite of iLife applications. The new versions fall under "iLife '04":

iPhoto has seen the most dramatic improvements with performance enhancements as well as a number of iTunes-like features. These include smart albums, photo rating, rendezvous photo sharing and improved slideshows.

iMovie '04 brings additional flexibility in editiong, iSight support, and improved sharing support.

iDVD now offers up to two hours of encoding on a standard DVD using an improved encoder from Final Cut Pro. 20 new themes and overview modes are also offered.

As already reported -- GarageBand has been released. More details in this news item (Please post GarageBand comments under that story)

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

please post GarageBand comments in this thread. Not here.

Thank you
    arn

3. macrumors 68020

What's the word: will photo and movie still be free downloads (I assume iDVD and Garageband will cost $, and iTunes has to be free).

And will they work with the current version of iDVD?

4. macrumors newbie

com'on, bring out the free download for iPhoto NOW :D

5. macrumors 6502

iLife improved?!? Heck...I can USE iPhoto now....woohooo....can't wait to import more pictures.

6. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Education pricing is $29 for the new iLife package, I am pretty excited about it, but not too sure if I am quite ready to order it yet.

7. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just wondering if we will still get these updates through Software Update?

8. macrumors newbie

I love the new suite! But just from seeing :( I still can't download the update but what SJ showed was.... hmmmm impressive

9. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I was really, really hoping for an iTunes upgrade.

I mean, a lot....

(Plus I'm let down by the costly iPod mini)

10. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

yeah count me in on wondering whether iPhoto and iMovie will still be free downloads. iTunes still is so...

11. macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I would pay that price... but I would be happier if I could just get everything (maybe not iDVD, as last revision was done) for FREE! Argh! Anyone know if any updates will be free?:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I'm really pumped... $29 with an edu discount. Garage band is exactly what I imagined... wow... good day.

13. macrumors newbie

iPhoto is a great app, and I'm really itching to download the new version. Shurly apple wouldn't make us pay for the whole suite, right??

14. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    another persong complaning that i can not d/l iPhoto for free.

Maybe it will be posted next week when iLife is for sale???

15. macrumors newbie

iLife preinstalled ship date?

Anyone care to make an educated guess on when the new iLife will start shipping on new Macs? I was waiting to order until after the keynote, but I don't want to wait until 1/16! Tho I also don't want to have to pay an extra $20 for my impatience for the Up-to-Date upgrade. All the store site says is that the boxed product will be delivered on 1/16. I may have to walk into a retail store just to ask...

16. macrumors member

Just a shame that the new iLife costs so much in the UK compared to the US.

£39 ($71) in the UK compared to the £26 ($49) in the US. There is no way tax is that bad here.

I guess we should think ourselves lucky that the dollar is so weak right now otherwise it might of cost even more!

17. macrumors regular

price is wrong

all wrong. 250 for a 4GB and 300 for a 15 GB?
    consumers are dumb but not that dumb.

18. macrumors 6502a

Nope, or why would they say all new Macs will get it and they have an up to date program as well. If they were free downloads, they wouldn't have to have an up to date program. You want the new versions you need to pay the money.

19. macrumors regular

$49 for iLife?

Lets see, I've already got iTunes 4.2. Don't have a DVD burner on my iBook. Don't need an update to iMovie. I'm using Final Cut Express and will pay the $99 to upgrade it. So that leaves me with GarageBand and iPhoto for $49. Don't have a need to make my own music. So Apple wants me to pay $49 to upgrade my iPhoto? No thanks Apple.

I'm still planning to buy my G5 this year Apple, but I'm starting to get a little hesitant. First, .mac became a subscription. Now, iLife. What's next year? Safari?

20. macrumors member

ilife is free if you buy a new mac, does that mean if i go by an ibook today i'll still get ilife 04 when it's released for free?

UPDATE: i've called both apple.com and a local apple retail location and neither knows if there will be a coupon. i was told to call back while they research it.

21. macrumors 603

Stella

Boring :-(

mini ipod is way too expensive.

For $50 more you get a 15gig model... $249 is too expensive for the target market. $199 would have been good.

Shame that the majority of the planet have to wait two extra months.

iApps are now payware for updates.

Disappointment.

Garage is good for Musicans

XServe G5 is also good.

good that iPhoto publishing stuff will be available to other countries.

Shame you have to buy iApp updates, unless you buy another Mac.

22. macrumors regular

Is there any update to iTunes?? That wasn't made particulary clear in the Keynote.

23. macrumors member

Here's one more worried that the iLife apps will be come for-sale programs and not downloads. I don't need iMovie or iDVD, or even GarageBand. Just iTunes and IPhoto.

And the iPod mini = BIG letdown.

Brian

24. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Yes, it is a terrible shame that we should have to pay for quality applications. These should be FREE! Because, as you know, it is such a pain in the rear to have to actually spend money for something.
    And Mircrosoft expects me to pay for Office 2004? Get real! It should be free too...

Please people, stop whining. Why should Apple spend $ and time on great software and then give it away? Doesn't sound like a very good business model to me.

I just ordered my copy of iLife, you can too.

25. macrumors 68020

Isn't that the same thing as being able to buy the system software upgrades on CD/DVD, because you don't want to take 2 days dowloading over 56k (if that's all you have?)

Seems like a total rip-off for anyone buying a mac today not to get iLife for free. But I can understand charging folks who can't/won't download.